cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boeing, Boeing, Gone

Lægen
Aspiring Pro

Boeing, Boeing, Gone

George Clarke (Amazing Spaces) will be buying some to adapt as caravans......... very large Caravans !

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8531777/End-BA-jumbo-jets-British-Airways-scraps-ENTIRE-FLE...

27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Boeing, Boeing, Gone

Good news. There are much more efficient planes (and airlines) out there.

Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

And for those that don't want to read a DM article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53426886

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I forget who did it, but some years back there was a show on I think the BBC where someone took a retired plane and upcycled various parts of it into re-saleable items, one of which was a section of the fuselage being turned into a garden office space, which I thought was rather cool, would love to have such a thing myself, I just don't own any land to put it on... 😁

Anonymous
Not applicable

And for those who don’t want to read a Daily Mail or BBC article:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/17/british-airways-retires-boeing-747-fleet-as-covid-1...

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Well I tried to read the Daily Mail link, as I like being pestered by adverts. I eventually managed to actually read some content. That was hard work.

I know little about planes and I wonder what ones I have been on? (I am thinking of holidays). Although my dad had a pilots license, just for microlights though.

Mav
Fixes: 431

Here's an old 747 being put to great use.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Personally i think scrapping all of them is a mistake - a very big one.

Scrapping the majority would be sensible but keeping a small fleet of say 5 would still leave us with sort of iconic engineering marvel the nation can be proud of (while boosting ticket values and BA profits).

To get rid of every single one is just daft but then they did that with concorde too. 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Dinosaur passenger quad jets like the 747 are a diying breed - shame BA wasted millions of £ refitting some of there 747 fleet recently when all the US carriers had already retired there 747 fleets.

Modern twin jets like the Airbus A350 are cheaper to operate & better for the environment.

Also the dinosaur 747 only ever earned an ETOPS 330 rating even with its 4 engines.

A350 twin jet has ETOPS 370 rating at introduction showing how far design, technology & reliability have moved on in the 21st century.
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@7up wrote:

To get rid of every single one is just daft but then they did that with concorde too. 

There are a few Concords left (or Concorde with an E if they're Air France ones), but for museum purposes only, despite their abilities for speedy travel they were hopelessly inefficient, very restricted as to where they could fly (basically, not over land), and horrendously expensive to run, hence the rather elite ticket pricing...

As for 747s, they've been around for a long time, they're iconic for sure, but, just like the Mini, they did need to be put out to pasture eventually to make way for the young blood...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@twocvbloke 

Both French and British ones were Concorde with an ‘e’, thanks to some common sense courtesy of Tony Benn:

The argument continued until Tony Benn as Minister of Technology, resolved it in 1967, in favour of the Concorde spelling.”

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cabinet-office-100/the-supersonic-airliner/concord-or-concorde/

Lægen
Aspiring Pro

@Alex wrote:

Well I tried to read the Daily Mail link, as I like being pestered by adverts. I eventually managed to actually read some content. That was hard work.

I don't see the ads as I have ad blockers etc, so I just see the plain copy, with pix.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Alex wrote:

I use a single core machine with 4GB ram - easily over powered by websites with billions of adverts and the DM is one of them. I went into chromes settings and disabled javascript for dailymail.co.uk. It now behaves itself nicely.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@7up wrote: but keeping a small fleet of say 5 would still leave us with sort of iconic engineering marvel the nation can be proud of (while boosting ticket values and BA profits).

But what nation? They are made by an American company! Having flown on a B747 and an Airbus A350, I prefer the A350. But I must admit I can't ever forget my free upgrade on a B747. Flying on the upper floor was quite something, as was the food served on real plates along with metal cutlery. Go figure - seated right next door to the cockpit.

As for Concorde, there's one parked near one of the runways (27L? ) at Heathrow.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@idonno There is also one of the test concordes at Duxford air musem.Thumbs_Up