Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boeing 777 goes up in flames

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Boeing 777 goes up in flames

I love flying so don't anyone get me wrong and think i'm anti aircraft - i'm not. But it does seem to be increasingly risky and stressful these days. I've not flown for 8-9 years and don't intend to anytime soon.
The damn things keep falling out of the sky, vanishing, exploding etc.
We've become too complacent about the safety of strangers that are flying (or not in the case of shoreham) and it is wrong. The last two years have been terrible for air disasters and frankly IMO despite the stats showing you're safer up there than down here, it seems to be more dangerous than ever.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: artmo
Why?

Same reason the Concord was grounded, "just cos"... Grin
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Why?

Why? Because that plane could have exploded... with YOU on it. Now how does that make you feel?
You're ok at the thought of it when its total strangers but do you actually realise that every time you yourself fly, there is a risk to your safety? A risk that seems to be getting more apparent with every passing month.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
The damn things keep falling out of the sky, vanishing, exploding etc.
We've become too complacent about the safety of strangers that are flying (or not in the case of shoreham) and it is wrong. The last two years have been terrible for air disasters and frankly IMO despite the stats showing you're safer up there than down here, it seems to be more dangerous than ever.

Really Undecided How many planes have fallen out of the skies in the past 5 years? Statistically flying is one of the safest forms of transport.
How have we become complacent? You haven't flown recently have you?  Go check the security at airports today. Also check the safety record of modern planes. it improves all the time as technology improves.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I can think of two that both began with MH... granted one was shot down but it still fell ...
Yes statistically its safe... but there has been an increasing number of accidents in the last couple of years and that should be seen by most as rather alarming.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

If you are talking about civilian airlines there has not been an increase in accidents in recent years - unless you have any proof to the contrary.
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

2015 has been a very safe year for civilian flying - so far!
Have a look at the safety indicator at the link below.
http://aviation-safety.net/index.php
Highlighted
Community Veteran

An interesting chart. A total of 7 fatalities. it certainly backs up what I said about flying being a very safe form of transport.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Which bit are you looking at? Huh
11 accidents, 282 fatalities

Since the start of 2015....
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yes, I was looking at the recent stats only. Even so 282 fatalities year to date worldwide is extremely low. How many people are killed on our roads each year, in 2013 1713 was the death toll.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

But the total deaths this year is half the average for the past 10 years, so if these planes are indeed at fault, then that deathtoll could rise...
I'll accept that compared to driving, a plane is far safer, but, compared to driving, flying is a little more inconvenient... Grin
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
I'll accept that compared to driving, a plane is far safer, but, compared to driving, flying is a little more inconvenient... Grin

It usually tends to be far more lethal when an accident does happen too. The passengers of this plane were extremely lucky as it could have been so much worse.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Of course it's more lethal because there are more people on board. What do you want to do, ban flying?
The passengers on the recent BA flight were saved due to a highly trained crew who did everything by the book.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

What do you want to do, ban flying?

Well that'd be silly, the better idea would be to start coming up with plane and engine designs that weren't brand spankin' technology 40 years ago... Grin
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Of course it's more lethal because there are more people on board.

Roll_eyes
Actually I'd have thought it more to do with the explosive fuel carried on board, the extremely high altitudes and the vast area of water they have a habit of flying over (or solid land - both being just as dangerous from a high altitude).
But you think it's because of the number of passengers.... Everything with you is about big numbers isn't it artmo. Well here's another... 45,000 ft vs 300 passengers.. now which one do you prefer?  Wink
The passengers on the recent BA flight were saved due to a highly trained crew who did everything by the book.

Including letting people stop to gather hand luggage apparently.. which is far from by the book  Roll_eyes I can't deny that they got them off in a damn quick time..