cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Body Piercings

jmd
Grafter

Body Piercings

After reading this item on BBC  -   http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7451580.stm ; I am not surprised that there is concern over infection. Huh
I also find it quite off putting to have to talk to someone with rings through lips/nose etc or in other places - I find myself wanting to keep looking at the item in question instead of the person!  Mainly because I am thinking - how do manage with that, in the lips or tongue - how do you talk/eat with that?
Does anyone actually find it makes the person more attractive? Undecided

edit - sorry about link................. it worked for me but something has got lost!
Moderators note by James_H : Removed trailing / from URL - should be working now Wink
30 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Body Piercings

Your linky is broken, there is a space on the end  Roll eyes
However to the subject in point, think it is an emphatic no. Most of the time I find to me that it makes people less attractive.
Aside from SWMBO ear-rings of course  Wink
The ones I really don't understand are the ear-rings that make your ear have a really big hole. Your ears are the only bit of you that don't stop growing so I wonder when they are old if their ears will be dragging on the floor.  Shocked
Bumped into someone at work during a V festival once, they had had their tongue pierced and it swelled up massively and they missed most of weekend, waster of 100+ quid.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

Quote from: jmdlp
Does anyone actually find it makes the person more attractive? Undecided

Personally I don't.
However if people wish to increase their value in society that's their business...metal prices have increased substantially recently Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
N/A

Body piercing/tattoos - they are all the same to me and I dislike them intensely. Like jmdlp, I find myself looking at the ornamentation rather than at the person.  Unfortunately, I find myself making assumptions on the character of the person based on stereotypes.
The other thing is that I can't begin to understand why they have them - if it is to make them more attractive then IMO it fails miserably.
My friend (who has a habit of viewing things a little differently) says that they will all regret the tattoos when they become old and have a few creases and baggy areas to cope with.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My dad had a number of tattoo's, I've not liked them since, and certainly not on women, cannot see where they get the idea they improve their appearance. But there's no accounting for "taste" I suppose. I do wonder if all those that get tattooed realise it's for life, and won't just wash off later (after some have sobered up I would guess)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

I have two tattoo's - I'd rather have two less than I have too!
Both are on my biceps deliberately so they are not visible unless I want them to be - fortunately I'm not a fan of wandering about shirtless so most folks don't know I have them.
Just last weekend we were talking about tattoo's at a friends house - in 5 years they hadn't realised I had them.
Still, I'd rather not have them. (Although one is my name in chinese script, and the other is a 'celtic' design, so both fairly inoffensive as far as tattoos go.)
N/A

What you have to do to get rid of them is go commit a crime. I remember many years ago when I was working just up the road from Plusnet prisoners being admitted to our ward just for this purpose.  Apparently it helped them to break free of their past and make a new start. Don't know if it worked, but it seemed mighty unfair to me as honest, decent folk couldn't get them removed unless they paid for it.
I wonder if it still goes on now - probably a daft question since these days crime seems to pay.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've had my tongue pierced (now removed, though I'm considering a replacement - my fiancee will probably not be too happy as I tended to click it off my teeth. There are benefits though.) and also have a 13mm hole in my right earlobe, soon to be matched on the left. There's a few others too... none hidden, though I did have my bellybutton done for a while
I'm not sure about the whole 'more attractive' thing but it doesn't put me off (anyone else with the same that is), though I do wonder what some of the people in this thread may think of me now.
Happy to answer questions on the 'did it get in the way/did it hurt' kind of genre though.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

orbrey,
You pondered on what contributors to this topic might think of you now.
Some might say 'there's none so odd (or other words) than folk'. You would probably agree.
I think you are free to do whatever you want, provided you don't interfere with other people.
My Dad had tattoos on his legs, arms and chest. Queen Victoria featured along with things like snakes etc. They were a result of his Army service in India (circa 1902 onwards). Perhaps some resulted from enjoyable times in the canteen.
It never worried me at all that he was tattooed. But I would not want to be tattooed myself.
James
Grafter

I don't agree with/believe in self mutilation, but have nothing against others that choose to do so.
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Jameseh, that's not funny either to people with piercings or to those unfortunate enough to feel that self mutilation is the only way to get attention/feel better about themselves.
N/A

Orbreys 'confession' has helped to dispel some of my own (probably incorrect) stereotypes about tattoos and body piercing so that can't be bad.
Still don't understand why though - each one of us is unique and acceptable just as we are.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Bob

think you are free to do whatever you want, provided you don't interfere with other people.
My Dad had tattoos on his legs, arms and chest. Queen Victoria featured along with things like snakes etc. They were a result of his Army service in India (circa 1902 onwards). Perhaps some resulted from enjoyable times in the canteen.
It never worried me at all that he was tattooed. But I would not want to be tattooed myself.

My dad was also in the army in India, and was where he got most of his done, but a few years later than you're dad...
Quite agree with Bob. If you want to be "mutilated" that is entirely your affair, you are probably used to some startled expressions by now from other people (sorry, I couldn't think of a better word to describe what you do, but accept it is a bit strong) There is a guy who shops at my local Sainsbury in Apsley near Hemel Hempstead (is it James H who knows the area? and who might just have seen him) he wears a vest and shorts at all times of year, and is tattooed and has dozens of piercings over his entire face and that body on show, wears what is left of his hair tied up in the middle of the top of his head, and is usually secured by a red ribbon, he not unnaturally causes quite a stir wherever he goes. I have though followed him at check-out, and he's a truly charming gent (he must be in his sixties, but it's very difficult to tell)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jmd
Grafter

There is a difference between those who self-mutilate themselves because they are depressed or seeking attention etc and those [like Orbrey] who do it because they want to adorn themselves in strange and painful ways with body jewellry or tattoos.  They should not be confused.
I do not like seeing them as I said before.  However, if people want to spend money and have pain that is up to them.
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

However, if people want to spend money and have pain that is up to them.

Please don't think I'm quoting that because I take exception to it, I don't at all. However, it did remind me that a few people I've talked to have assumed piercings (especially the larger holes) hurt - not just when they were done initially, but all the time.
I can assure you that this is not the case. At least it hasn't been for any of mine.
Not sure if that's in any way reassuring... Smiley