cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boats coming home

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Boats coming home

I see the Naval Establishment (or MOD) is up to the old tricks of removing vessels from the fleet years before their replacement is available. Given they scrapped the "obsolete" Harriers I suppose it's usage was limited. Strange how the US Marine Corps still use those "obsolete" aircraft successfully. I just don't buy the guff about HMS Ocean being a replacement, it was commissioned in 1998.
In general I have no problem in closing an out of date service/equipment, provided the genuine replacement is available and operational  before the old one is taken out of operation. There should also be a public document naming the official(s) who took the decision to terminate a service. That way we can go back and terminate their pension when flack hits the fan later.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Boats coming home

Yup!.... I agree...... although HMS OCEAN is the only one of it`s class.... and purpose built as a Floating Helo Pad.... due to the inadequacies found in operations in the Balkans.... when they "thought" RFA ARGUS would be good for the job....  
     From Wikipedia......
In February 1993 The Times reported that the carrier faced cancellation due to budgetary constraints.[5] However, at approximately the same time, British forces were engaged in operations in the Balkans, which saw the Royal Fleet Auxiliary's aviation training ship RFA Argus pressed into service as an Landing Platform Helicopter (LPH). Argus proved totally unsuitable in terms of accommodation and facilities needed for a large Embarked Military Force (EMF), which emphasised the need for a purpose built platform.

Which really brings home what you are saying about having replacement ships, in service, before sending the old uns off to the scrapyard....
Presumably, you are referring to    
  From Wikipedia
Following the retirement of her fixed-wing British Aerospace Harrier II aircraft in 2010, Illustrious now operates as one of two Royal Navy helicopter carriers.[3] She is the oldest ship in the Royal Navy's active fleet and it is envisaged that she will be withdrawn from service at the end of 2014 (after 32 years' service) and will not be replaced until HMS Queen Elizabeth is commissioned in 2016.

Illustrious returned to Portsmouth today, for the last time on active service..... she will now be slowly run down, and decomissioned later this year...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defence/hms-illustrious-picture-slideshow-1-6193183

One small point...... your title to this thread..... "Boats Coming Home".... should be re-titled "Ships coming home"..... as the term "boat" in the R.N.  refers to Submarines....  ( submariners refer to surface ships as "skimmers" ! ! ! ... )  
Heloman
Grafter

gromittz
Grafter

As a former soldier working in a marine/port environment. A ship, no matter what it is, will always be called a boat because it annoys former RN and Merchant Navy colleagues.  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Typical Pongo  Cheesy
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

By its been a long time since i heard the word PONGO  Cool
since i was a brylcream boy  Cheesy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
gromittz
Grafter

oh dear  Roll eyes
TORPC
Grafter

A ship will always be called a she
[quote= http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/sr/page9.html]A ship is called a "she" because.....
There is always a great deal of bustle around her
there is usually a gang of men about
She has a waist and stays
It takes a lot of paint to keep her good looking
She shows her topsides and hides her bottom
She can be all decked out
It takes an experienced man to handle her correctly
And without a man at the helm, she is absolutely un- controllable.
It takes a lot of Paint to keep her Good - Looking.
And the main reason....It's not the initial expense that breaks you, It's the upkeep!!!
When coming into port, always heads for the buoys.