cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boat Race

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Boat Race

Was anybody else less than impressed and underwhelmed by the BBC's hour and twenty minute build-up to this years race?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Boat Race

I was so underwhelmed, I did not even know it was on !  Roll eyes
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I'm with shutter.  I've not heard anything about it.  If I'd have known about it, I'd have watched it.
Phil
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well the end wasnt bad, managed to watch the last 5 mins, the other bit made me fall asleep
Community Veteran

Well there was that well known rowing expert and fount of all sporting knowledge Clare Balding doing the presentation. What is it about this woman that the BBC keep wheeling her out from everything from cricket to the winter Olympics. After all her expertise is horses (and some have unkindly suggested that she doesn't know which end of a horse the bit is inserted)
But her as ever crass style was accompanied by the obligatory these days mini-biographies of each and every member of the crews and an inch by inch review of the course and its obstacles to efficient rowing.
Not only that against all the odds Cambridge won -and I lost a pound-

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Steve
Pro

Didn't know it was on!! would not of watched it anyway,it's like watching paint dry.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
After all her expertise is horses (and some have unkindly suggested that she doesn't know which end of a horse the bit is inserted)

Would be difficult as a rider not to know one end from the other and as a daughter and brother of top race trainers not very good for the family reputation.
Community Veteran

Agreed itsme, I was only passing on a comment anomalously attributed to another (and probably overlooked and miffed) BBC sports presenter.

Community Veteran

I am sure there were millions of northern working class people absolutely glued to their TV sets this afternoon to watch their heroes from Oxford and Cambridge race down the Thames. It must have so thrilling for these people to watch the race as they have some much in common with the oarsman of both Universities.
What the BBC paid to cover the boat race could have paid for a whole series of Opportunity Knocks or similar talent show that will appeal much more to the masses.

Community Veteran

I suppose what annoys me it that sports are no longer covered simply for the sport. Everything has to have potted histories and biographies with loud music and graphics that wouldn't go amiss in Dr Who these days. even innocuous, harmless snooker has its match coverage preceded by 15 minutes of inane repetitious rubbish, and interspersed with "expert" critique. According to TV, nobody just plays a sport any more, we need to know everything about them from birth to their latest marital misdemeanour's.  

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
I am sure there were millions of northern working class people

It's the North turn next weekend with the Grand National so there will be many southerner complaining about the BBC coverage.
Community Veteran

Well at least Clare Balding will be speaking with some knowledge then. The race is around 3 O'clockish usually, wonder what time the BBC coverage will start.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

how long does the Grand National last?
SPORT: The Grand National
On: BBC 1 
Date: Saturday 10th April 2010 (starting in 6 days)
Time: 13:00 to 17:00 (4 hours long)
Clare Balding at Aintree presents the world's greatest horse race, The John Smith's Grand National. 40 horses and riders compete over the fearsome Aintree fences. In 2009, 100-1 shot Mon Mome won the race; is there another surprise in store this year? There are five races in total from Aintree - 1.45, 2.15, 2.50, 3.25 and The Grand National at 4.15. Commentary comes from Jim McGrath, Ian Bartlett and Darren Owen.
(Editor's Choice, Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles)
Starring: Rishi Persad, Richard Dunwoody, Mick Fitzgerald, Lizzie Greenwood-Hughes

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
Fixes: 47

Did anyone sink. It has been the highlight of a few such races in the past.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

is there still water in Becher's Brook?