Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Tooth, or RF key finder thingy?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Blue Tooth, or RF key finder thingy?

Blimey O'Riley, misplaced my keys again t'day and it took me over an hour to find them, so I reckon it's time to get one of those key finder thingy wotsits.

Lots on the market with prices to match, but do I go for the seemigly cheaper RF or the more expensive Blue Tooth one. Seems to me that panic and worry apart, it's going to cheaper to pay out for one of these rather than a new set of car and house keys.

Anybody here use one, and are they loud enough for this half deaf old codger. Roll_eyes

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Re: Blue Tooth, or RF key finder thingy?

Get one of these...

key chain.png

Or you could see if theres a compatible key finder app for your mobile phone...

Failing that....  have a cuppa.... and think...... " Now..... where would I look for my keys.... not now,..... but when I have exhausted everywhere else....  where would be .... the last place to look ? ? ?   "

And look there first...! ! Cheesy  save a helluva lot of time..... Wink

Highlighted
Rising Star

Watched my boss turn the office & workshop upside down looking for a set of keys once, couldn't find them.

Anyway after about an hour he gave up, picked his laptop bag up of the desk & guess what appeared, keys had been under it all the time.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

My big problem is putting the keys down and forgetting where I have left them. In the house is not usually a problem as I always hang them up in the same place by force of habit, but go anywhere else...

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Key finder might be a good idea if you are talking about one or two sets of keys but it is possible to buy from ebay devices that can track up to 6 sets of keys........good idea.......but.......

Each unit attached to each bunch of keys needs a battery in addition to the main unit......so 7 sets of batteries...usually 2032 or something similar, not a problem but worth keeping in mind.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Just the two needed for us, so maybe something like this.... plus £5 postage!

Capture (2).PNG

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

... plus £5 postage!

@Minivanman 

To qualify for free delivery on items such as that, instead of spending on postage put the required amount (i.e. £5.01 in this case) into a site such as this to find a 'filler' item to take you up to £20.00 - yes it'll still cost you at least £20 but you have another item instead of paying the money on postage.

Unless of course you've already got an additional item in mind! Wink

Edit: forgot to mention the word 'Amazon' anywhere in my post.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

I was looking at that, but trying to include one or two white tee shirts (which are always handy) that were 'eligible' has been all but impossible. Seemed that whatever I tried they were determined to charge me postage so I might just order it via one of my daughter's accounts.

Highlighted
Pro

Go to amazon.co.uk and type "add-on items" in the search box.  You can sort by price "Low to High" if necessary..

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman  This looks interesting...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3PC-Mini-GPS-Smart-Tracking-Finder-Device-Auto-Car-Pets-Kids-Tracker-Find...

Have a scroll down the "information" panel,... in particular, the last paragraph.... which says you can locate your "device"  ( keys, car,... kids......   ) using Google Maps ! 

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Looks interesting, but would it find those keys down the back of the sofa, or would it just tell me 'they are in the house somewhere'. Will check it out. Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman   Fair point ! ! ... download the APP  and see if that gives any clues, as to how "accurate" the location is....

Just found this ( a cheaper version  ! ! ! )  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spy-Mini-GPS-Tracking-Finder-Device-Key-Finder-For-Car-Pets-Kids-Wallet-T...

And from the "techy info" .....

Our Gadgets Locates Where you last left them to the nearest Street and then give you signal strength Guiding you to your lost item!! You can even Locate Your Phone by pressing the button on the Gadget it will send the Phone a Ringing Noise until you locate your phone !!!

So.... it seems the "signal strength" will tell you if you are "getting warm" in your location

Highlighted
Pro

@Minivanman those  oval ones are the sort that I have. After trying numerous types I have found them really good they are economical on batteries too. 

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@RobPN wrote: To qualify for free delivery on items such as that, instead of spending on postage <> take you up to £20.00 - yes it'll still cost you at least £20 but you have another item instead of paying the money on postage.

It's how I tend to end up at Fleabay. Quite frequently you'll find the exact same item, (sometimes even the same shop) but no postage to pay.  Can't see the point of spending £20, when a fiver is all it costs. Amazon's loss, my gain..

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?