cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blu-ray versus HD DVD

Fixes: 47

Blu-ray versus HD DVD

In view of the recent news from Warner Bros that they are withdrawing support for the HD DVD format have you reconsidered an impending purchase or regretted a past one.
I have to go with Blu-Ray as I don't want to get lumbered with a modern day Betamax Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Blu-ray versus HD DVD

As I don't have a high definition TV I am quite happy with standard DVD disks
Community Veteran

I understand that Toshiba with their DH-DVD pulled have pulled the plug.
http://news.theage.com.au/toshiba-blames-hd-dvd-failure-on-studios/20080220-1tbi.html
Chilly
pierre_pierre
Grafter

LiamM
Grafter

I'm glad, as I was a Blu-Ray fan :-)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm with Oldjim. Too much time spent picking holes in the definition quality=not enough left to enjoy the content.
What I've seen of Blu-Ray/HDD etc. seems to me to rather reduce the watchability rather than improving it. Yet another case of inventing the technology, now finding something to do with it. Do we really want to be able to see every line, wrinkle and face-lift scar on the faces of our favorite TV celebs, if so, why? At the end of the day, it's a marketing exercise to persuade us to part with more money upgrading from one expensive system to another even more expensive one. with not that much return for our cash.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Further to my last post; I think it was James O'Brien on LBC 97.3 radio today, who said almost exactly the same thing I did. With a decent TV, todays DVD's are perfectly acceptable as they are. He also went on to say, why bother changing your current set-up, soon you'll be able to download your selected movie etc. on demand, directly onto your TV, now that might be a technology worth waiting for. Mind you, my guess is it won't be cheap.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Community Veteran

May I refer you to a long article on page 15 of todays Daily Mail (22/02) on this very subject. Which leans very heavily towards my personal view of the future of DVD/Blu-Ray etc.

chino
Grafter

Blue ray though this is only because HD is not going to be around much longer... From what i had seen HD and Blue ray were very similar.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not a user of either, but I believe that Blue Ray has a higher capacity than HD DVD
Fixes: 47

The result so far must make disappointing reading for people in the business of marketing these products.  Grin
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pcoventry
Grafter

I just pump it through my Sky HD box so not really fussed.
LadyD
Dabbler

makes me laugh especially as the ex spent the money on a hd dvd drive for the xbox  Grin me evil nahhh..
I havent yet splurged on a hd tv so im not that fussed about it all Smiley
N/A

Quote from: Pete
I just pump it through my Sky HD box so not really fussed.

Yeah, but that won't turn a normal DVD player into one that can play content in HD though.