Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blood Pressure Testing

nadger
Rising Star

Blood Pressure Testing

Just reading this item that says that BP should be taken in both arms
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16739682
Very rarely have I had it done - just checked myself using my Omron and left arm 129 and right arm 130 so won't panic.
26 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Blood Pressure Testing

Thanks for the heads up nadger...124/60 and a pulse rate of 60.
I only did my left arm though using my IBP unit.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I haven't checked it yet with the Omron, Its usually around 130/70, but how many of us have a BP machine at home?
I know my GP prefers me to take in my own readings, taken while relaxed at home rather than those effected by the well known "white coat syndrome"
I've indeed taken in the machine to my GP and compared readings against his traditional pump up device, and found them very similar with marginally higher readings with the Omron.
How many of us of advancing years take BP control medication? I do.
Certain medication taken by Mrs P can have detrimental effects on her BP. Daily readings for a month were used to prove that the side effects of taking a Statin were making her more unwell, clashing with other medication. The Statin's caused heart rhythm issues and palpitations. Statin's for some people are not the panacea that is thought. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Must be a new "guideline"... however I cannot see the reason... you only have one circulating system.!... and the pressure on one side should be the same as the other.... and even if you did the test on your legs... !..
the difference of 5 points between readings is insignficant..... ( I suspect), even if you are on the "borderline" between high and normal, as the pressure changes with your activity or lack of.
I have been taking my wife`s blood pressure readings daily, (as she has been taking tablets for years, to control her blood pressure)  and making charts for the past year.  
Here is a good guide to what it is all about....
http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/BloodPressureandyou/Thebasics/Bloodpressurechart
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The blood pressure machines cuff's used in surgeries should be calibrated at least once a year. Many are not accurate or routinely checked.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Mine is/was always lower in my Left arm, but to give blood it used to be my Right arm  Cheesy
I have a BP machine at home, but don't use it much, having diabetes my doc wants me to keep my BP down so I have been on tablets for past 5 years even though my BP is "normal" (130/80).
Given the tablets I am on for "associated" problems with diabetes (High - BP/cholesterol/you name it) I often wonder what would happen if I stopped them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Very True the reading my GP gets and the reading I get at home differ by a fair amount.
Some Omron models come with software that lets you print out a record of your BP over a set period of time.
The Recommendation is to take it first thing in the morning then again in the evening and see what the results look like over a period of a month or so.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just after I retired I saw an advert in the Surgery for 3 months free gym membership providing the GP agreed, which he did.
On attending the gym they gave me a quick health check, do you smoke, drink etc and finally said we will just do your BP which showed a reading of 100/170. No way would they allow me to join until I had gone back to the GP for treatment where the same BP reading was confirmed.
A Combination of medication and retirement has now got it down to a more reasonable 80/130 (average)
Community Veteran

Gleneagles, I think you have your figures the wrong way round Undecided  it's customary to quote the systolic followed by the diastolic.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Some Omron models come with software that lets you print out a record of your BP over a set period of time

The one I have does this (Omron OM10-IT) Its quite useful to present a large number of readings to your GP. But what he's more interested is the average over a period of time, and doesn't take too much notice of occasional blip's up or down as long as they don't feature a lot. Regular checks will show that you will rarely get two readings in a row the same.
Incidentally, this machine is usefully switch-able for  two people's seperate readings. The print-outs can be in various types of chart that log time of day (quite important) the readings were taken etc. Oddly the only thing it doesn't provide is the one thing a GP wants; an average, you have to work this out for yourself.
Probably all a bit OTT but manna from heaven for the hypochondriac,

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
community
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
The one I have does this (Omron OM10-IT) Its quite useful to present a large number of readings to your GP. But what he's more interested is the average over a period of time, and doesn't take too much notice of occasional blip's up or down as long as they don't feature a lot. Regular checks will show that you will rarely get two readings in a row the same.

My long experience of taking BP's (12 years) for my late wife and me has proved to me that random checks are of no use whatsoever.
The only way to get a picture of the state of your heart is to take an average of many checks over a period of a week or so.
This is easy as most BP machines retain a record of your last 50 or so checks. Mine is an Omron also.
nadger
Rising Star

Seems a few of us have Omrons and my GP surgery also uses their equipment.
A while ago I read a report ( can't recall where) that said people who monitor their own bp at home tend to have lower readings when checked by the professionals.
Community Veteran

That's the "white coat syndrome" nadger. Even the outwardly calmest, placid and laid-back people's BP will rise measurably when a doctor gets the BP device out. At a recent driving licence medical the doctor (not my own GP) routinely takes two readings several minutes apart to allow the patient to "calm down" the second usually being lower than the first and is the one added to the form.
I do believe GP's are now routinely encouraging their patients to acquire their own machine.
Prior to purchasing the Omron OM10-IT, I used one of the wrist type. And then compared the readings with the OM10 (which is cuff type) To say they were different is putting it mildly. Our GP pointed out the wrist type need to be fitted absolutely accurately to get anything like a proper reading. It doesn't apply now but he was reluctant to accept the wrist readings. The OM10 will bring up an error message if it is not happy with the cuff fitting.
The reason why there are so many of us using Omron's is I expect is because there are more of them around, easily available than any other brand. Although I haven't seen the OM10 in the high street, I got mine on mail order. 

Community Veteran

Actually, it was when I first applied for a bus/coach driving licence that I found out my BP was raised, since I failed the first medical because of it. Simple medication was prescribed and my BP has never been a problem since. It wasn't hugely over, but enough to be beyond boarder-line pass.

Community Veteran

I went along to my GP yesterday for him to check my BP which I had been monitoring at home.  I also have an Omron. I have been taking twice daily readings for 2 weeks at his request.  My home readings showed the ones taken in the evening were always lower than the morning readings.
My GP asked me to take my machine with me.  He checked my BP using the old style pump machine in the surgery and then checked again on my machine.  Both machines gave a similar reading which was good to know but my Omron gave a slightly higher than the GP's.