cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blogging

N/A

Blogging

Recently read an article in a computer magazine about blogging using Wordpress. Having given the subject a bit of thought, I still can't see the point.
Personally, my life is too boring to be of any interest anyway.  I wonder if folk who have time to blog might be like me and not have much of interest to talk about.  Conversely, folk who have a busy and interesting life might not have time to do this. 
Are blogs really of any interest, and if so, wonder if anyone here has a particular one that they like to follow?
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Blogging

I have a blogsite..... don`t post on it daily, but use it to "impart information", and use as a reference point....
some things are "personal", others are photographic, experiences...
but it is mainly about taking pictures "my way"...  You can visit it..... (no charge ! ! ! ! ) to see what I do.....
http://nemosphotography.blogspot.com/
I found it useful to post up my "routerstats graphs" when I had problems with my connection, (  and remove them when not needed )... it was easier to keep updating the blog than to keep updating the postings..... plus it was available to all and sundry to see, should they need to refer to it...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Problem is when I’ve read something on a blog and want to refer to it I can never find it a second time. Sad
I use to follow and contribute to a couple of 'collective' blogs, (where a group of people or an organisation, publish a 'blog' on a specific interest, like a collective dairy with references).
More recently the blogs had not been updated. Now all the interesting information is collated into a monthly/bi monthly bulletin, Journal or newsletter which are usually downloadable on an email alert.
I now wait for the email alert, download and save, then collectively read 3-4 months worth together.
Saving a collection of Newsletters in e-format (PDF’s) allows document searching which is a far more useful tool.
Drawback is, the newsletters, Journals and bulletins all need an editor.
Likewise with Twitter how do you sort out the 1% ‘interest’ from the 99% ‘no interest’, and once you’ve found the 1% interest and not realised at the time it could be of interest, how do you find it a second time. Huh
Although I do follow Shutter, not actually his blogsite, his visual images do sometimes inspire Roll eyes
thejudge
Grafter

At its most basic, blogging can be the electronic equivalent of 'vanity publishing' (where people used to send their otherwise unpublishable work to be printed and bound in small print runs just so they could say that they had been published). Otherwise, it is often the modern version of keeping a diary (no-one ever kept a diary other than in the hope that it might one day be published and show how interesting and profound they were).
When I started mine (http://www.thejudge.me.uk/) nearly eight years ago, it was much in that spirit, along with the thought that "Well, everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't I?".
I can't claim that much of what is on there is of any value to the world, although I do still harbour a vain hope that someone at a magazine or a major website might some day happen on something I've written there and want to reproduce it or want to employ me to do the same thing for money. I'm still waiting...
One blog I can particularly recommend is that of the writer Philip Challinor at http://thecurmudgeonly.blogspot.com/. It's well-written and very sharp.
Fixes: 101

it's funny this should come up now, my daughters school have just started encouraging every student to blog on the schools site (accessible only to staff, students and parents).
i found this a tad odd and don't really see the point of it.
Will Moderate For Thanks
geoffp0
Grafter

Be very carefull using "Wordpress" I know of several people who have had their computers "taken over" by wordpress there are some very devious characters using it, with one guy they got in and completely wrecked his hard drive, he had all of the latest firewall / malware software installed.
Be warned
Geoff Cry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

pierre_pierre
Grafter

one forum member has his blog address in his sig, very uninteresting reading here
Wednesday 23rd June
When I started putting things into a bag, I realised that I only had one spare pair of pants. If only I'd put some washing on last night! Not wanting to take my bike on the train this evening, I caught a bus into work. At Slough, I popped into Tesco to see if it had any pants (it didn't) and into the train station to collect the tickets that I'd booked yesterday.
N/A

Like adiewoo, I still don't see the point although I can see that it provides an outlet for people, and maybe serve as a resource.
It's strange that the blog has become so commonplace in an age when the one thing that is missing from society today is someone to listen.  I am thinking of the many, many people who seek treatment for emotional difficulties from their GPs when what they actually need is a good friend or perhaps a counsellor.  As they say in the ad - it's good to talk but that's all supposing that there is someone to hear.  Maybe with a blog it doesn't matter if nobody is reading it, as long as it provides an outlet for thoughts, opinions and creativity. 
Fixes: 47

I read this blog occasionally http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/
....and it just so happens that this blog of his is topical in another thread.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: pierre_pierre
one forum member has his blog address in his sig, very uninteresting reading here

Ah yes, Pierre, but at least he`s honest about it......
First line of his blog page  starts......

Those of you who don't know me probably won't find my blog that interesting.

so you have no excuse being bored to death reading it ! ! ! !  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the first time I came across his blog was about 2 years ago, at that time, it was a single topic blog and was while he was on a foreign trip, the first bit was along the lines
got up this morning
then had breakfast,
and it rambled on from there
geoffp0
Grafter

Strange how things happen, last night I started setting up a blog, now after seeing all of these comments I am not sure that I will continue with it, my blog "was" going to run alongside my weather website, it would be just for weather matters for the North Essex area, and not for the usual ;-  got up, went to the loo, went back to bed blah, blah, blah Lips are sealed
Geoff
Fixes: 47

Quote from: geoffp0
....and not for the usual ;-  got up, went to the loo, went back to bed blah, blah, blah Lips are sealed

That sounds typically Facebook Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its not a blog Geoff, but we do have stupid times  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80876.0.html