cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking mobile data

Drummermatt2

Blocking mobile data

Hi all,
Is there any way of blocking the mobile data signal to my sons phone at set times? We block the Internet via our router but think he is then switching to mobile data to keep surfing. We want to block the mobile data for a couple of hours each day to prevent him using it and have some downtime.

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

Re: Blocking mobile data

Hi @Drummermatt2 - Welcome to the forum.

To answer your question you would need to install some form of screen time app on to your son's phone. Some phones like iPhone already have this as port of the OS. However, with being on his phone, there would be nothing to stop him from disabling, overriding it even removing it. You may be waging a losing battle here.

Drummermatt2

Hi Mook,
Many thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, that was my worry, that we would have to put something on his phone.
He is 16, so not exactly a 'child' but it is frustrating there is no way to remotely block the mobile data signal. Then it would hopefully give him some motivation to do something useful (like all his friends, he is surgically attached to his phone) during this lockdown period.
Anyway, many thanks again.
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Drummermatt2  In the same position to much the same degree. OK, a little bit older but the step son seems to be welded to his phone - even at 3am! Coming from another country he likes to keep tabs with friends with a 6 hours time difference. Like you, the internet goes off at 11pm for his phone. Lots of moans originally but tough. I pay the bill, I make the rules. Presumably your son is not on PAYG? The only saving grace is the phone signal is pretty bad round these parts.So he does eventually go to sleep.

Whether this might help (its really for the USA), couldn't really say. Problem is they are of an age................!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?