cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blockbuster goes into administration ( Rescued )

Steve
Pro

Blockbuster goes into administration ( Rescued )

DVD rental firm Blockbuster has become the latest UK High Street firm to go into administration after hitting hard times.
The chain has 528 stores employing 4,190 staff.
Deloitte, the accountancy firm that will now take over the day-to-day running of the firm, said Blockbuster had been affected by competition from internet-based film services.
The stores will keep trading while the administrators try to find a buyer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21047652
32 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Blockbuster goes into administration

Another one bites the dust.....
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Steve
Pro

Thing Is Netflix and Lovefilm have old movies not so much new releases so I don't understand why companies like them two would put Blockbusters out of business.
nadger
Rising Star

I blame the Internet Service Providers because, without them, we'd all have to go out in the freezing misty cold and shop properly  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Gotta be honest, we've not used blockie for years. We used to use them every week but since getting freeview we usually manage to find something to watch and if we don't a DVD comes off the shelf!
Netflix and lovefilm have nothing to do with it IMO. We've never used either of them.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
James
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
Netflix and lovefilm have nothing to do with it IMO. We've never used either of them.

They have everything to do with it!
They are taking away massive amounts of business from Blockbuster, as are things like iPlayer, SkyPlayer, etc.
This is no surprise.
Community Veteran

Have to agree with you Jameseh.  There are so many sources offering cheap online rentals that they are bound to affect the likes of Blockbuster.  I saw this happen in the US a few years ago.
I'm sure you know that Lovefilm is owned by Amazon.
Community Veteran

I see what you're saying James (and yes what you're saying would seem logical and right) but what proof do you have of that? - We can all jump to conclusions but is there any hard evidence of this? - Surely you as an ISP must be able to tell us if the netflix / lovefilm traffic has gone skyward?
We used to use blockbusters weekly - sometimes 2 or 3 times a week and now we just don't! We just watch stuff on freeview instead. We've never even looked at netflix or lovefilm. Last time we went to blockie we struggled to find anything new that we hadn't already hired. The stock didn't seem to change, there never seemed to be a lot of fresh choice and to be honest we kinda got fed up of spending 30 odd minutes in there looking desperately to find something to watch.
Community Veteran

Simply look at the facts.  Netflix in the last full trading year had a global turnover of $3.2B. This was up from $2.1B the previous year.  Quite impressive growth.
Steve
Pro

Quote from: artmo
  I saw this happen in the US a few years ago.
Maybe the same company that saved them there will save them here?
Community Veteran

They still trade in the US but in a very reduced way. The UK business is totally seperate from the US one AFAIK.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Steve_M
Thing Is Netflix and Lovefilm have old movies not so much new releases ...

For streaming maybe, but Lovefilm has the Disc-by-Post service and those are recent releases, at the same time as those titles appear in a Blockbuster store, why bother going to the store when you can get it delivered and then when done with it post it back the next time you go past a letter box.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Simply look at the facts.  Netflix in the last full trading year had a global turnover of $3.2B. This was up from $2.1B the previous year.  Quite impressive growth.

Impressive? I'd call it absolutely staggering  Wink
Fixes: 123

I wonder why Blockbuster never got into delivery their movies over the internet?
Also, I am surprised that there are still a number of local independent video rental businesses still going. Whenever I go past and look in they're empty!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Pro

Quote from: godsell4
why bother going to the store when you can get it delivered and then when done with it post it back the next time you go past a letter box.
For me there Is not much fun In that, I think Its much better going into Blockbusters, having a browse and getting say 4 new films for £10, buy a bag of popcorn, tub of ice cream.