Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Block

How can I block a web site?
I have had something occur that I cannot deal with. A web site (I have not included a link for it here) has taken over my home browser page. Obviously, since I am posting this it is no problem to access other web pages. However the site defies all attempts to stop it being my home page.
I have reset several times my usual home page but each time it reverts to the unwanted web page. The page originates Israel and takes the form of a search engine. Checking the sites identity information I have blocked all available options.
It originally added a toolbar to Firefox, but was uninstalled, and now doesn't appear in the toolbar list.
During attempts to deal with it a very brief pop-up appears telling me that the site has blocked an attempt to disable it.
The site continues to set itself as my browser home page. Other than that it seems fairly harmless....so far
Anyone any ideas?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
19 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Block

Use a hosts file to Block it from calling home, then remove it.
Fixes: 104

I'd use your hosts file to make it point to yourself, as Garry has suggested, add the line:
127.0.0.1 <dodgy website address>
or you might be able to do it in your router.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Just use the free version of:-
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
to get rid of it.
Community Veteran

Sorry Gary, you'll have to a bit more explicit than that. Details please...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

@Dvorak, I already have Malwarebytes installed.

Community Veteran

You have an infected PC.
Do a dns lookup to find the IP address of the offending website. If it's say fred.com edit your hosts file add it as 127.0.0.1 fred.com
That will stop it accessing its website (you should get a blank page) but not stop it from changing your home page. You then need to scan your PC with various A/V and malware scanners to get rid of the infection. Which ones have you tried to get rid of it so we can suggest others if they do not work?
Note: some infections take great length to stop you removing them. You may need to run the scanners in safe mode.
Fixes: 104

here you go.. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/block-unsafe-websites-blocking-lists-windows-hosts-file/
I didn't mention malwarebytes...
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Sorry it was Billnotben. Apologies to Bnb

Community Veteran

Currently running malwarebytes.
AVG full scan didn't find it

Community Veteran

Don't know if it's any help but my brother had a recent web bug effort that malwarebytes wouldn't get rid of. Until I noticed an unknown process running in the task manager.
When that was stopped malwarebytes cleaned it up OK.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ah just seen you already have it running. In our case it wouldn't start until we stopped the process.

You could enter the dodgy url here:-
http://www.virustotal.com/
and see what it comes up with.
Community Veteran

Also try spybot search and destroy
And run all your scanners in safe mode.
Community Veteran

Thanks guy's, I'll get back to you. Running full Malwarebytes which will take some time. And don't believe in running more than one scan at a time.
I used to have Spybot, will give that a try as well. As I will with all the other suggestions.
Keep'm coming in please.

Community Veteran

Well, just before shutting down in exasperation for the night, I thought I would try an outside chance and ran a system restore (from two days ago)
And....it "seems" to have cured the problem!! In all honesty, I didn't expect it to.
Anyone like to add anything to this or predict if it is only a respite?

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I would still do a full scan with:
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Spyware Doctor
Superantispyware
And Run your Anti-Virus Program