cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blizzard

Fixes: 47

Blizzard

A blizzard has just started here in leafy Sheffield and it looks set in for the night. Sad S8
Edit: 15 minutes and everything is white over Sad but the flakes are smaller Smiley S8
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
7 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Blizzard

At least, nowadays, the snow can get through the fumes from the blast furnaces  Wink

Officially one of the cleanest cities in Europe as far as air quality is concerned.
Can't say the same about the streets or the language though Sad S8

BTW It was more the Bessemer Converters that were the problem as we made steel more than iron.
nadger
Rising Star

I remember going round English Steel Corp back in 1958 - some really big engineering equipment in their machine shops.
My wife's uncle used to run Playhouse Theatre and, where they lived, it wasn't safe to hang out washing as the smuts burned holes through it.
I first went thro' Sheffield in 1935 but don't remember much about it  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Probably one of the cleanest now that the heavy industry has almost gone as well as most of the terrace houses all with coal fires. The fact that Sheffield was known as the city of 7 valleys (unlike Rome with 7 hills) down which the wind blows. A fact I was well aware of as I used to live near Stannington and walked to the university most days in 1960/61 when I was a student engineer.
jmd
Grafter

Strat - please keep blizzard your side of Sheffield................. I don't want it in Worksop........................ :

@jmd I noticed you corrected the West Country pronunciation or Worksop to the Northern version somewhat speedily. Wink
It's supposed to be heading your way this evening.

We allegedly produce far more steel now than in the 40s and 50s but with far fewer workers.......progress Undecided