cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blind leading the blind!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Blind leading the blind!!

You know those "how to find us" maps included on many websites and often in Google searches that usually have zoom facilities...
How can I get one to add to a website I'm constructing?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Blind leading the blind!!

There is probably an easier way...... and I am sure some knowledgeable person will shoot me down and tell you... but you could try this
bring up your "desired location" on google maps... zoom down to your required level.... then go to your top toolbar... click on View, and then "page source"... then copy and paste the relevant html coding into your website as a "linky"... i.e.  you can find us here
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@Petlew, Shutter is on the right line but I think you need to apply to Google for an API Key
http://code.google.com/apis/loader/signup.html
Easy to copy the source form the following website
http://www.gearthhacks.com/yourmap/mapiframe.php?map=1
then change the title, edit the long and lat data to your location (twice), the address data to your address and the API key to your API key, You can save the above source and test (as an example)
not much help I'm afraid
you could always use a static map:-  see http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/staticmaps/
Note: The Google Static Maps API no longer requires a Maps API key!

Exampe (S) Postcode as centre lat and long as position of  marker

Community Veteran

Uhmm! thanks guy's...working on it...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

following might be useful, it is a URL generator for static maps
http://gmaps-samples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/simplewizard/makestaticmap.html
copy and paste the generated URL with  img syntax around it
mossgrove
Grafter

Alternatively in Google Maps, look in the top right hand corner of the map - there is a button labelled "Link" .  Click this and you get two options: one is an extended URL for the map open at your location, the other is an IFrame code snippet.  I usually use the extended URL as the target of a A tag - there are said to be security issues using IFrames.... but the do give a nice embedded map if that is what you want.
Denzil
Grafter

As another alternative, you can also use Openstreetmap. Find the place you want, then click the Export tab at the top. Under "Format to Export" choose "Embeddable HTML". Copy and paste the code from the Output box into your webpage.
Have a look at my archery club's website to see how it looks.
Community Veteran

Thanks again guys. Quite like the look of yours Denzil. I'll let you know in due course.

Community Veteran

That's brilliant Denzil, worked perfectly.
Many thanks.

Denzil
Grafter

Glad to be of service. You will give us a URL when the site goes live, won't you, so we can admire your handiwork?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Denzil
As another alternative, you can also use Openstreetmap.

I don't believe it.. I just been there and its all in german again!
Am i ever going to loose this random german thing in my browser?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@Denzil, I like your archery website maps, thanks for sharing.
another alternative (not quite the same) allows layering of map and conversion into PDF
http://free.findmaps.co.uk