cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blank SatNav

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Blank SatNav

Earlier today, I decided to download a UK and Ireland update for my Navman S50 3D. the download was 1.2Gb and covers the whole of Europe, then you just select which area in the PC software you require Er! oh yes for £29.95. An activation code is supplied by email, which can be used just once (so don't get the area selection wrong!!) In my case the download automatically "backed up" to DVD disc burn. Which I was quite happy to let it do.
Ok, so far so good. Having the choice available I actually loaded the update onto the "external" SD card in the SatNav device. After completing the process in accordance with the comprehensive if disjointed instructions I disconnected from the PC.
At some point, according to the NavDesk programme that now shows empty UK and Ireland maps, the update operation seems to have wiped clean the internal memory in the device. When I switch on the device I now get only a blank screen with the legend "go to the nearest road" or after a "reset" "searching for your location" but it never does. But does report after resetting "there is a problem loading some of the maps"  And there doesn't seem to be any way of accessing the data on the SD card.
An attempt was made to reinstall from the DVD backup, but since the activation code can only be used once, this failed completely. This was followed by a number of error messages without explanation what they meant. I sent off this information to the Navman/Mio. I will not bore you with a run down about just how difficult and frustrating this was to do.
In the meantime, anybody got any suggestions of what went wrong, or know how it might be fixed, or indeed experienced themselves.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Blank SatNav

do you have the SmartDesktop program on that model?, on my Navman N20 the maps are installed from there and onto the main memory not the SD card, I can add extras like spain or italy onto the card but the base must be on the main
Community Veteran

Thanks for you're reply pierre. No it doesn't appear to be the Smart NavDesk version, its NavDesk 2008, which is I think a cut-down version supplied with S series Navman's.
Checking the properties of the SD card, the maps "seem" to be there, but won't open in the device nor, does there "seem" to be any way of transferring them to the device internal memory. I suppose even in this day and age a faulty download is a possibility.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you tried loading the maps from the CD via the NavDesk on to the main memory with the SD card removed?, Or is it that the S series with its silly memory holds all maps on the SD?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the method is on pages 9 to 11 of the NavDesk  manual  http://www.navman.com/docs/manuals/navman-s-series-spirit-navdesk2009-manual-en_gb.pdf
Community Veteran

Yes, thanks again pierre, that is word for word the same as the NavMan upgrade manual I downloaded yesterday, the only difference is that its part of the manual you linked to, but needs downloading separately for NavDesk 2008.
It didn't work...
I have sent two mails now to Mio and now to NavMan C/s as well, neither has so far replied, but I'm not really surprised about that as its quite early in the process.