cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackpool Illuminations

Anonymous
Not applicable

Blackpool Illuminations

Blackpool Illuminations switched on Tonight... spectacular light show.

In 2018, the  Lights will be shining from 31st August - 4th November 

The world-famous Illuminations need little introduction. As well as the miles of traditional festoons and tableaux along the Promenade, there are now extraordinary 3D projection shows on the front of the Blackpool Tower building every evening!

No wonder it’s commonly known as the greatest free light show on Earth!

https://www.visitblackpool.com/things-to-do/blackpool-illuminations-and-lightpool/

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/live-blackpool-illuminations-alfie-bo...

I used to live in St. Annes, just down the road from Blackpool, and travelling the Illuminations was an annual treat.

Driving along with an open sunroof, fantastic.

Even better, getting the tram from Starr Gate to Fleetwood, and walking the 5 miles back to Starr Gate, along the prom, with a bag of chips or two, with lashings of Salt & Vinegar.

Taking in each illuminated set piece...

And if the weather was bit inclement, just riding the trams...

Or if you got a bit tired of walking.

Just avoid the weekends when the whole of Manchester and beyond descends on Blackpool.

I can feel the salty breeze & the smell of the Chips right now !

39 REPLIES 39
Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Blackpool Illuminations

As someone who's never been to Blackpool I'm surprised that they turn the lights off before Christmas.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Eeeh lad, it gets mighty cold up 'ere at Christmas !

They did try a longer season in the past, visitors just petered out...

Other things to do just before Christmas I suspect.

Fixes: 337

Last time I saw the illuminations was 2005. I wan't particularly impressed back then.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

DaveyH
All Star
Fixes: 11

Just a shame Blackpool is an absolute khazi of a place...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Too many LCD Grockles.

Anonymous
Not applicable

2019:

The big switch on will take place with a special live event at Tower Headland on Friday August 30 2019.

From Monday to Thursday, lights are out at 10.30pm.

This increases to midnight on a Friday and Saturday night before dropping to 11pm on a Sunday.

Walk the Illuminations, it's a fantastic free show, with a great atmosphere.

The Illuminations will be switched off for the last time of 2019 on Sunday November 3 at 11pm.

Blackpool-Tower-and-The-Golden-Mile-Illuminations-at-night.jpg

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/family-kids-news/blackpool-illuminations-2019-what-...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Lucy Fallon, is that the best they can do?

Not up to speed with the history of faded celebrities that have switched the lights on in the past, but with an expected crowd of 20,000 I'm sure such a massive event will be beamed right around the world.

Can't wait.... Well actually, yes I can. Roll eyes

Things to do before you die. Sail across the Atlantic, climb all the mountains in Scotland, walk along the Great Wall of China.... see the lights go on in Blackpool.

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Anonymous wrote:Walk the Illuminations, it's a fantastic free show, with a great atmosphere.

Can you guarantee good weather? Last time I went it was blowing a gale. Didn't see much of the lights (for some reason the place was strangely deserted) but certainly saw rough seas etc. Maybe people don't do light watching, high winds with lots of rain all in the same mix. Roll eyes

And the hotel was a naff choice too! Sad I haven't been back since.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Fixes: 613

pretty, but not spectacular.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Marksfish
Pro
Fixes: 3

Went again last year with my brother and or wives. stayed in a B&Bopposite the haunted house illumination. Had a great time.cheap(ish) tram fares, enjoyable night life (must have been one of the weekends without the hen nights!) and found some good restaurants to wash down the drinkies Smiley

Main drag lights are a bit boring, but around the corner where the moving ones are is great. shame not many illuminated trams around these days. when I first went, there were loads of them.

Community Veteran

Yes that looks really good.

What I think is a shame, going back a few decades, at Christmas my city centre used to look great with all sorts of fancy lights and decorations. And of course there was a parade with all the floats and costumes as well.

Now we get next to nothing except high parking charges. And they wonder why the city centre doesn't attract so many people anymore. Except students who live there anyway in ex huge shops that were converted into student accommodation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

2019:

The big switch on will take place with a special live event at Tower Headland on Friday August 30 2019.

From Monday to Thursday, lights are out at 10.30pm.

This increases to midnight on a Friday and Saturday night before dropping to 11pm on a Sunday.

Walk the Illuminations, it's a fantastic free show, with a great atmosphere.

The Illuminations will be switched off for the last time of 2019 on Sunday November 3 at 11pm.

We used to live in St. Annes, nr Blackpool.

Friday, we visited friends in St. Annes, we all took a minibus to Starr Gate, watched the switch on, then "walked the Illuminations"

Then a Tram back to Starr Gate.

It's been a few years since we last visited, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Fish & chips on the Prom, can't beat it !

They had organised a surprise get together at the Lifeboat station, friends, family & ex BAe work colleagues were all there...

A great night.

Now the Holiday begins........

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

My life is just one long holiday, we just go away for a few days. But Blackpool or Barcelona?

Tough choice. Roll eyes

@Anonymous Don't forget your socks. No really, don't.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You missed out the most important B...... Barbados.

Where it's too hot to wear socks....

... next week ...

For 8 weeks +