cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackman

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Blackman

I Find it hard to believe that the Court took the decision to release the name of Alexander Blackman a Sergeant in the Royal Marines who has been found guilty of Murder despite a year long battle to keep his name a secret.
I Doubt that there are many service personnel who have seen active service who would agree this was the correct decision as it places not only Blackman at risk but also members of his family.
Seems that when the government wants to repress a report such as the Chilcot enquiry it has no trouble in doing so, pity it's not as quick to support those who put their lives on the line.
4 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Blackman

its rather worrying that any part of the courts martial procedure was made public, rather alarming that a civi court has the right to name the individual and by doing so also reveal the names of all those involved (because nominal role's are a matter of public access record)
if this had been a crown court case then sure it could all of been public, but since it was done in what should of been a closed court the entire proceeding should of been hidden from the public until after the verdict was revealed.
scary that a political sideshow is being made of all this, when someone gets killed in a rage attack because of this as some sort of reprisal I'm sure nothing will happen to the judge for his lack of foresight though .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

In a TV discussion it was mentioned 'Justice must not only be done but also seen to be done'.  In this case it could have dire consequences.
Sentence has now been passed:
Sentence
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I guess they tried him under normal civil rules instead of under military rules then, cos I'm pretty sure that war crimes can only be tried by the Hague or an international criminal court designated and setup explicitly to deal with crimes committed during war within a particular national boundary ....
but that would also be odd given the standards of acceptable video evidence as helmet cam footage isn't permissible in a civilian court but it is permissible when tried under the army act iac QR's
which means either its a political fishbowl or they broke international law in trying the case in the UK and thus avoiding the death sentence that would of been mandatory at the Hague (in many ways tried and convicted publicly at the Hague would of been better for all concerned)
now there are a whole bunch of targets waiting to be attacked by extremists at home, all round very bad politics
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
nadger
Rising Star

Identities should not be revealed because, as has been said, families could become targets.
Would no presume to judge the actual case as I've never seen a few mates killed by ieds.