cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberries

randpwar
Grafter

Blackberries

No, real blackberries! My lad came back from walking the dog around the fields yesterday evening with what looked like red dye all over his hands; his explanation, he’d been eating blackberries. He said they were okay but not quite ripe enough. Seems a little early to me; maybe it’s as a result of the dry fine weather. Are there any out where you are?
13 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Blackberries

The ones I've seen recently aren't ready yet but I suppose it depends partly on which area of the country you are in.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
randpwar
Grafter

Deepest, darkest rural Warwickshire
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not ripe in Essex yet
Community Veteran

In my part of Essex they are now ready and people are picking them.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

found some lovely ripe blackberries today, didnt know whether to buy them in Tesco or Sainsbury

the plants in this part of Essex are still in flower and few berries are set, but very small
It is important to remember where you have seen the blackberry bushes so that you can pick the wonderful berries that they produce. The berries usually ripen on the blackberry bushes in late summer; August and September are the prime months.
Community Veteran

My neighbours just got back before the heavy storm having been picking blackberries this morning.  Not enough to make jam but I'm promised a blackberry pie when they are baked later Cool Cool  That's afternoon tea sorted Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Be a few weeks before they are ready in Lancashire but look like there will be a good crop of them..........Just try Blackberry & apple pie with Ice cream !
Community Veteran

Not a big fan of apple in pies.  Fortunately my neighbour know that Wink
Fixes: 125

Home made apple & blackberry pie; piping hot with lashings of custard or icecream - can almost smell it now and my mouth is watering. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Still picking gooseberries in Derbyshire, blackberries are some way off.
SWMBO does a delightful 'gooseberry curd', has a bit more of a tang than lemon curd, excellent on cheesecake.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
My neighbours just got back before the heavy storm having been picking blackberries this morning.  Not enough to make jam but I'm promised a blackberry pie when they are baked later Cool Cool  That's afternoon tea sorted Smiley Smiley

can you get a date stamped photo of a wild Blackberry bush, as I dont live far from you and I am just back from a ride, as I said the blossom is still on the bushes and the biggest fruit is smaller than a peanut
Community Veteran

Picked  some nice ripe ones here on the south coast.
With the recent rain they're nice fat ones unlike the poor shrivelled excuses of last year.
Maybe the blackberries know they have to speed it up as the summer seems to be over. Sad
Community Veteran

Don't say that billnotben - he'll want a photo Grin Grin Grin