cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black list facility on my new mobile Phone. Useful ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Black list facility on my new mobile Phone. Useful ?

On a new Mobile, ( non Smartphone ) it has the facility to block certain incoming numbers, calls & texts.
I don't get many SPAM etc texts, perhaps one a month, but this should reduce them even further.
Only possible drawback, if & when the spammers change their alleged phone number, if one is displayed.
Number with-held and international numbers would still get through.

From my User Guide...
Black list
You can add a number to Black list or delete one, and set to filter incoming call and SMS.
All the callers in the black list will be automatically blocked when this mode is on.
You are allowed to add 20 contacts to the list from the Contacts or to add the unwanted numbers directly.

I used to forward such texts to 7726 (SPAM) but nowadays the response is can you give us the phone number of the spammer.
Which is long gone, or none existent

I would have thought all the information they needed to  locate the Spammers is from the content of the forwarded texts, they usually include some contact information.

So Blacklist maybe not that useful, except in any marketing calls from UK companies.
Anyone have any experience of a Blacklist facility on their phone, non Smartphones, and also Smartphones which themselves have a variety of similar apps.
Useful or not ?
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: Black list facility on my new mobile Phone. Useful ?

My current non-smart phone doesn't blacklist.  However it can assign numbers to a user defined group (so "family", "work", "coldcallers", etc), and each group can be assigned with a different ring tone.  So what I do is add nuisance numbers to my "coldcallers" group which has a silent ring tone.
So effectively I am blacklisting, by creating a list of numbers which don't interrupt me - because my phone doesn't ring when they call, and they never leave a message on the answerphone.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Useful?
ISH
The app could play the spammer a recorded message like, "please ring me back on {this premium rate service number}"?
It would be nice to kill all PPI 0845's etc at the exchange, rather than have to divert to voice or silent ring. But collectively, telecos make billion$ from spam callers so there's no incentive to make life easy for their customers. Insread, customers are often railroaded into paying extra for blacklisting under the heading of network services.
On this subject, I wonder if PlusNet is willing/able to provide it's customers with exchange side blacklisting?
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: purleigh
My current non-smart phone doesn't blacklist.  However it can assign numbers to a user defined group (so "family", "work", "coldcallers", etc), and each group can be assigned with a different ring tone.  So what I do is add nuisance numbers to my "coldcallers" group which has a silent ring tone.
So effectively I am blacklisting, by creating a list of numbers which don't interrupt me - because my phone doesn't ring when they call, and they never leave a message on the answerphone.

That's a good idea.
What happens to texts, do they get moved too ?
Community Veteran

I haven't tried it with texts, as I don't get spammed with those.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: PlusComUK
Useful or not ?

Most definitely. I had to put my old boss on my phones blacklist whenever I'd done a night shift because the bar steward would have a habit of ringing up at 8:30am over really trivial stuff or to have a rant (and by rant I mean shout at the top of his voice using as many profanities as he could think of). When you've finished a night shift at 6am and get woken at 8:15 thats not funny. I ended up adding him to my blocked list. Needless to say the phone showed many missed calls from him but he soon gave up trying to get through to me  Grin It was so nice going to bed knowing I'd got the last laugh over him and his sickening bullying attitude.
So yes, having a blacklist is super helpful.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I always switched my phone off when I went to bed - for some reason the modern generation don't seem to see that as an option
Community Veteran

My home phone DECT base station can be programmed to direct any calls received overnight directly to the answering machine without causing the handsets to ring, although any messages left on the base station will be indicated by a flashing red LED on each handset.
This feature would be great for people who get nuisance calls during the night, such as people with phone numbers that are one digit different from the local taxi firm,  or for families where a ringing phone will wake a baby that you just spent hours getting to settle down to sleep.
The start and stop times can also be programmed.
RichAllen
Grafter

Unless I''m using it to take photos/videos, play music or make/receive calle I turn my phone off most of the time anyway.
I also don't advertise my mobile number on forums or wherever, that way it don't get harvested by spam monkeys.
Community Veteran

The SPAM monkey looks harmless to me  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
I always switched my phone off when I went to bed - for some reason the modern generation don't seem to see that as an option

Thats fine in theory but remember OJ us younger generations are having to work harder for less for the spending older generations and thus many of the younger generation have other commitments which means they need to be contactable. Then you have the emergency thing too. Before my emergency surgery, I felt something BURST inside me in the middle of the night. I could barely dial 999. Imagine having to wait for a phone to turn on, boot up, enter a pin number... it's not always practical.
To you older folk who have had a pretty good working life, it might seem crazy for us to keep our mobiles on. For us workers these days who are struggling, a mobile can be an essential tool to survival.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I wish - I was typically working a 50 hour week and on average working away from home  one week in four so my better half needed to keep things going without me.
I would question whether the younger generation work as hard as I did
Community Veteran

Roll eyes
Devonian
Grafter

I get all manner of spam texts, offering discount fuel cards, cheap insurance, cheap break down, etc etc etc.
The blacklist on my phone is a god send!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Oldjim
I would question whether the younger generation work as hard as I did

I too am part of the older generation who had to less harder for more, including a 15 year spell of 50 hour weeks, coupled with being on 24 hour call 365 days a year, tied to permanently alive pagers and followed by mobile phones. The "Nokia tone" still sends a ripple of tension through me when I hear it. I now turn the beastly thing off at night. Even so having a smart number blacklist seems like a good thing.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.