cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Mould

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Black Mould

We have an "artificial lawn"... about 8 foot by 10 foot, laid on top of decking..... it looks very nice in the summer, but recently it has acquired an extensive area of  black mould ( i think )  due to it being wet, and damp, because of low levels of sunlight on it..

I can get rid of it, (kinda)  by using the hose pipe on a hard jet, but this is an enormous waste of water, ( we are not metered )  ( but it is still a serious waste )... 

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas I could try, to spray it with some household product, that is cheap, and then just brush it away with a minimum amount of water.

5 REPLIES
Shep41
Rising Star

Re: Black Mould

Have you tried household bleach ?
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

I'm guessing that it isn't mould but algae. Dilute some Jeyes fluid and use that with a soft sweeping brush, leave for a while (overnight if not raining) then hose it down. That's what next door neighbours do with theirs.  Thumbs Up

You could also try using the spray that's used for algae on greenhouse glass.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

Shep41 wrote:
Have you tried household bleach ?

Hmm.... methinks that may change the green to something a little less green ! ! ...

Community Veteran

@Pete11  Yes, you may be right.... mould or algae,, pretty much the same thing,,... Jeyes...  a bit strong in the smell department.. so may get some cheap Pine disinfectant, and use that.... probably work just as well...

thanks for the idea...  Wink

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

@shutter

Yes Jeyes has a bit of an odour to it, but it keeps dogs/cats off it therefore, no animal waste...Cool smiley

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.