Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Mould

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Black Mould

We have an "artificial lawn"... about 8 foot by 10 foot, laid on top of decking..... it looks very nice in the summer, but recently it has acquired an extensive area of  black mould ( i think )  due to it being wet, and damp, because of low levels of sunlight on it..

I can get rid of it, (kinda)  by using the hose pipe on a hard jet, but this is an enormous waste of water, ( we are not metered )  ( but it is still a serious waste )... 

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas I could try, to spray it with some household product, that is cheap, and then just brush it away with a minimum amount of water.

5 REPLIES 5
Shep41
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Black Mould

Have you tried household bleach ?
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

I'm guessing that it isn't mould but algae. Dilute some Jeyes fluid and use that with a soft sweeping brush, leave for a while (overnight if not raining) then hose it down. That's what next door neighbours do with theirs.  Thumbs_Up

You could also try using the spray that's used for algae on greenhouse glass.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
shutter
Community Veteran

@Shep41 wrote:
Have you tried household bleach ?

Hmm.... methinks that may change the green to something a little less green ! ! ...

shutter
Community Veteran

@Pete11  Yes, you may be right.... mould or algae,, pretty much the same thing,,... Jeyes...  a bit strong in the smell department.. so may get some cheap Pine disinfectant, and use that.... probably work just as well...

thanks for the idea...  Wink

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@shutter

Yes Jeyes has a bit of an odour to it, but it keeps dogs/cats off it therefore, no animal waste...Cool_smiley

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.