Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Friday

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Black Friday

Big day t'morrow guys, it's Black Friday. 🤣🤣🤣

"When looking at the two-week period surrounding Black Friday itself - including sale prices in the week before and after - it was found that three quarters of products were cheaper or the same price in the six months after"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50551415

They might not be 'breaking the law' but by crikey, they are coming mighty close to it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tldGgGFe194

17 REPLIES 17
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Re: Black Friday

It should be renamed, ‘Big conday’

Chances of getting a real bargain are low.

Community Veteran

I thought Black Friday was just a generic name given to an alleged sale that lasts for several weeks around November.

Wait a minute .......... that's it exactly.

TeeGee
Aspiring Pro

Discounts seem to be on high value items where there is plenty of room to give away a little profit.

Here at PN deals are for new customers only and do not seem very inviting.  Prices go up anyway next week which is not encouraging. for those of us whose contracts expire after Xmas.

Meanwhile the result on 12th December will probably have a bigger effect on our finances whichever way it goes.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Where did black Friday as an opportunity to get money from people originate from ?  I always thought black Friday was any Friday the 13th.....

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@TeeGee wrote:Prices go up anyway next week which is not encouraging. for those of us whose contracts expire after Xmas.

If it was me I'd still do a search after Xmas. Savings to be made whether Black Friday or not. My recent deal wasn't advertised as a Black Friday event and gives me a saving of £8 a month for exactly the same as what I get with PN. And the price is fixed so no price increase for me. 😁 Another deal, which is advertised as a Black Friday event, would have netted me a saving of £16 a month but maybe next year when the reviews for the company in question might be a better guide to their actual performance. Although I was very tempted by the offer of a free Google Nest Hub  - not certain what I would have done with it though.

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

Which ISP's did you consider?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@wotsup wrote:

Where did black Friday as an opportunity to get money from people originate from ?  I always thought black Friday was any Friday the 13th.....

From 'murica, not sure if it's true but apparently started here by Asda (being owned by US giant WalMart), and it spread from there with many other US entities that trade here following suit...

All to do with businesses running "In the black" and having excess stock to sell off, so they offered that cheap to clear it out so they could make room for new stock in time for christmas and the new year, obviously it's been corrupted over the years to sell expensive stuff at expensive prices, with dimwits thinking "ooh, what a bargain!" only to find out later they were ripped off... 😂

Marksfish
Pro

Then of course there is cyber Monday the following week 🙄

I got a really good phone deal with Vodafone 2 years ago, so upgraded. My contract expires in February, so a minor charge was added, but it was still too good to refuse. I was hoping to do something similar this year, but the prices are still way too high and don't look like they have been discounted at all. Oh well, i'll be keeping my old phone and changing over to a 3 sim in February then.

And Black Friday is an American thing that follows thanksgiving. We don't have thanksgiving, so why do we need Black Friday?

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Marksfish wrote:

And Black Friday is an American thing that follows thanksgiving. We don't have thanksgiving, so why do we need Black Friday?

Seems thanksgiving not on any particular date, but always on last Thursday in November and black Friday, well on a Friday 😎

Like most things that start off as one day it seems to have spread over a longer period ( Americans only get actual Christmas day off work but for commercial reasons stretch the ads and hype over much longer ) pretty soon black Friday 'sales' will start in September and last till just before Christmas... just like you now get easter eggs in shops just after christmas..

Marksfish
Pro

And then you get the lemmings. 

Hopefully we have learned a bit since 2014!!

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 20

There's nothing I want or need at the moment that justifies me bothering about this con-job. I did consider updating my Kindle, but the reductions aren't big enough to persuade me and in any case, if you keep your eyes open, you find better deals at other times of the year.

John
ffox
Pro

I bought a couple of flannel shirts from EWM yesterday.  The ticket said 20% off.   They didn't have the blue one in my size so I got one online today - same price, same 20% off.  During checkout an unexpected "flash sale" discount of a further 15% was applied. 

I guess that was for Black Friday, although it didn't say so on the web site and doesn't seem to be advertised.  Wish I'd known, I'd have got all three today!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Buy nowt would be my advice if asked.

If it was there before, it will be there afterwards. 😉

Highlighted
TeeGee
Aspiring Pro

@Marksfish 

I had a look at Vodafone following your comment and their prices are eyewateringly expensive. I feel their target market is business users where somebody else is paying and/or it is tax deductible!

They have a "cheap" subsidiary operation TalkMobile which does SIM only deals and these seem as good as one can get.  Three price points, all on a 30 day rolling contract £5, £7.50 and £10.  If you contact them you can actually vary the blance of calls, txt and data from those on the front page.  My wife's £7.50 deal is 4Gb data, 3000 minutes and 5000 texts. I doubt that even she can use that up! It is also beginning to make sense at these rates to use a mobile rather than a land line.