Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bit rich

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Bit rich

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13713606
Dr Rowan Williams suggested in the New Statesman that "radical" policies "for which no-one voted" were being pushed through with "remarkable speed".
Although he is right.......................I don't recall reading about a vote for the 10 commandments
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: Bit rich

You obviously missed this story then ? -
>
  Wink
Community Veteran

Which of the 10 comandments don't you want then?
Community Veteran

"You shall not covet your neighbour's FTTP broadband connection" ?  Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

And, if you do, your penance with be three " Hail TalkTalks"  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

My personal favourite is - "Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy"
Community Veteran

Smiley
Mmmmmm.  So the only part of the 10 commandments that people would like to get rid of, are the bits that (if you're not a Christian, Jew or probably any other mainstream religion) you don't have to do anyway.  I think everyone would agree that we shouldn't kill, steal or tell lies about people, and that we should be nice to strangers and respect and look after the elderly.
In fact if everyone simply followed the "great commandment" - that we should treat everyone as we would want to be treated, then most if not all of the rest would fall into place.
To be fair, I think the OP was making the point about a religious leader commenting on political issues, but throughout history, if religious people didn't take a stand on political issues, then we may not have hospitals, schools, employment exchanges, drug rehaibilitation centres or hospices, ( the originals were all founded by religious groups) but we would have poor houses, slavery and more child exploitation than we have now.  The Archbishop of Canterbury certainly has as much, if not more, right to comment than some entertainer or sportsman or some celebrity who is well known simply for being well known.  That's what free speech means.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: hulls
Smiley
if religious people didn't take a stand on political issues, then we may not have hospitals, schools, employment exchanges, drug rehaibilitation centres or hospices, ( the originals were all founded by religious groups)

which were the basis of the "temperance"  type societies... including the Workers Party..  (Labour)..

but we would have poor houses, slavery and more child exploitation

which has always been the backgound and basis of the "idle rich" (Landlords, Factory Owners, Bankers, etc )  (sounds like a Conservative manifesto !)....

.  The Archbishop of Canterbury certainly has as much, if not more, right to comment than some entertainer or sportsman or some celebrity who is well known simply for being well known.  That's what free speech means.
John

I could not agree with you more....  Wink