cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Birth of online shopping

Fixes: 47

Birth of online shopping

Interesting program on BBC2 at the moment, Robert Peston Goes Shopping.
It started off with a little old woman with a Videotext keypad placing an order for groceries from Tesco in 1984.
Tesco suggested this could grow and everyone laughed...."Why would anyone mess about ordering food on a Videotext keypad or a home computer when there's a shop just down the road?"
The rest, as they say is history.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Birth of online shopping

Most new technologies are laughed at when they're invented - people didn't see a use for the airplane until some bright spark realised he could drop a bomb from it or take aerial photos of another country. Then look what happened  Roll eyes
I seem to recall hearing about the telephone being ridiculed too...
18 years ago I was talking of putting cameras on RC aircraft with autopilots. I was laughed off the local flying field. Today they're called drones and in high demand at christmas.. and i've still never had one  Cry
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
"Why would anyone mess about ordering food on a Videotext keypad or a home computer when there's a shop just down the road?"

And it can't be just me that still thinks that.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

there is a correlation between mobility and home shopping, those who can will often prefer a trip to the stores those who cant or struggle will often prefer to tap a few keys and have it arrive in the allotted time slot.
I fall into the latter category,  years ago my driving licence was revoked on medical grounds and I have been almost exclusively shopping online since then, however I still go to town most weeks and pick up the odd bits whilst doing other things but nothing like I used to do back when I had a car.
like most things in life its horses for courses, I have found however that using online shopping I was able to take advantage of price deals all over the interwebz and save a fortune on non food goods something I would probably never have done if I were still driving to shops....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: billnotben
"Why would anyone mess about ordering food on a Videotext keypad or a home computer when there's a shop just down the road?"

And it can't be just me that still thinks that.
Well looking out of the window it's P  down so that's a good enough reason to order on line rather than go out get a soaking only to find they do not have what I want in stock........"But if you go to our online store they will have it."
Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: nanotm
there is a correlation between mobility and home shopping

You're also forgetting that online you can find virtually anything and get it delivered to your door. In many places (like mine) you can't find jack in your local shops.
I buy quite a few bits of electronic / gadgety stuff and not one shop around here sells the bits i need / want. There are three maplin stores surrounding my town in the neighbouring towns but the closest one is 16 miles away - and over priced! It's easier just to buy on ebay and wait 3-4 days... although the wait is really the worst part i've got used to it after buying stuff from china!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Oddly enough I have started buying a few things locally - from Screwfix who have just opened another store within 5 miles of home - more to the point it is on my way to the supermarket for my weekly shop
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
there is a correlation between mobility and home shopping
[/quote/) In many places (like mine) you can't find jack in your local shops.

You can't find Gill either unless you have a local pub nearby.
Gill=23.7ml  except for Scotland.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: Oldjim
Oddly enough I have started buying a few things locally - from Screwfix who have just opened another store within 5 miles of home - more to the point it is on my way to the supermarket for my weekly shop

the supermarket delivery was the first thing I ever did online back in 2001 when Iceland first did online shopping ....the shop was a nause to get to so home delivery just made sense, then I expanded that to Tesco when the twins were born and getting the family there became a planning mission requiring at least 3 days notice, that and I hate supermarket shopping, all those people all desperate to bash each other around.... but then I did live in a rough area at the time, and now I don't drive I love online shopping, takes around 30 mins and then I can forget about it until ti shows up at the door Smiley
Community Veteran

Interesting program on BBC2 at the moment, Robert Peston Goes Shopping.
Tesco suggested this could grow and everyone laughed....
The rest, as they say is history.

@Strat, yes it was a very interesting programme. It was good to hear from so many leaders of the retail Revolution that transformed the High Street and to have an insight to their thought process that allowed their companies to grow so big.
Community Veteran

What's a nause ?
nanotm
Pro

https://www.bing.com/search?q=shopping+is+such+a+nause&form=EDGENT&qs=PF&cvid=351e5786168a4860aa6147...
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: gleneagles
Gill=23.7ml   except for Scotland.

<OT Reply>
1 gill = 142ml
The standard drinks measure was England is 1/6 gill (23.7ml) and in Scotland 1/5 gill (28.4ml).  After metrication two further standard measures were introduced - 25ml and 35ml.
Ireland uses 1/4 gill as their standard measure - Defined as 35.5ml post metrication.
</OT Reply>
pwatson
Rising Star

<OT Reply 2>
nause - Someone who consistently annoys others to the point of receiving a physical and/or verbal attack.
</OT Reply 2>
No further comments m'lud Wink
Community Veteran

https://www.bing.com/search?q=shopping+is+such+a+nause&form=EDGENT&qs=PF&cvid=351e5786168a4860aa6147...
Thanks,
must put one of those urban dictionaries on my christmas list.
Smiley