cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Birmingham Airport Parking

Fixes: 47

Birmingham Airport Parking

I've just got back from dropping my daughter and family off at Birmingham Airport (they're going to Egypt Angry)
I dropped them in the 'Drop off zone' (£1 for 10 minutes)
After dropping them I set off in search of an exit to pay my £1 and leave.
I found a barrier, put in my ticket and the machine requested £1 which I had in my hand.
Where do I put my £1...no idea so pressed 'Help'.
I spoke to a lady and she advised me the machine only took cards Shocked
Behind me were 5 cars Roll eyes
To cut a long story short I put on my hazards which magically made the 5 cars move over to a second barrier.
I reversed back out into a parking area and went to a machine to pay.
By this time the charge had gone up to £2 which I duly paid and finally escaped the clutches of Birmingham Airport Parking Angry
Next time I will encourage my offspring to use Leeds or East Midlands, both of which are closer and more familiar.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Birmingham Airport Parking

I went up to Edinburgh the other day for a meeting but ended up at the wrong parking area up at the Airport and not at the Ingleston Free Park which is the next stop from / to the Airport. Anyway I make my way to the Tram to get into town and bought a return ticket £8, but if I had of gotten on the Tram at my proper stop (Ingleston) I could have got in and out of town for £3 using two singles!
Considering the very small distance involved its obvious that Airport users are being taken advantage of.
Fixes: 104

Hate birmingham airport.. used to be a free drop off pick up. However charging was introduced to combat terrorism. yup.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Think there are a number of places that don't take cash, some parking areas in London you need to phone and pay by card.
This should be made illegal, places like parking should give the option to pay in cash
Fixes: 47

I thought ' getting out my debit card for a £1 parking payment'  Roll eyes
I'm sure at East Midlands for example you can pay with a £1 coin at the barrier.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Hate birmingham airport.. used to be a free drop off pick up
At least Manchester doesn't charge for drop off, yet! Although I'm sure they will do it to help fund the rebuild of Terminal 2 Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: Strat
I thought ' getting out my debit card for a £1 parking payment'  Roll eyes

All part of the security no doubt, as they now know who came in and out. So expect to see the same at those that don't charge yet.
Community Veteran

I recently had to fly from Heathrow and from memory my driver didn't have to pay for dropping me off.
Fixes: 125

Last time I dropped SWMBO off and picked her up two weeks later at Gatwick I didn't have to pay but that was in 2013.
Wonder if that has changed Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 104

Heathrow you don't have to pay for dropping off
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

GRRR, this shit drives me crazy.
The UK airports are using "security issues" as a front for rip off parking charges. While I am not familiar with Birmingham, at Manchester, they introduced the "security" parking charges after the car fire at Glasgow airport, but only at the arrivals level.
I wrote to them to complain. I got a long and convoluted reply reminding me that security was the airports main goal (they meant after making money of course) and that is why people have to pay when they go to pick someone up at arrivals!!
Interestingly they seemed to have forgotten the security at departures where there are drop of zones for which there are no charges. So what happens is that I when I  arrive at the airport I go to the departures level and wait to be picked up at the departures drop off area. I will NOT pay at all for dropping off or picking up.
The main airport I use in the US is Philadelphia, you can drop off and pick up at will at all terminals FOC. They even have a "Cell phone parking lot" so if you are picking some one up you go to this car park and wait, free of charge until your passenger is ready, they call you and you just drive in and pick them up outside the terminal. How simple and civilised is that!
Faizan786
Grafter

Here's Heathrow.
Up to 30 minutes £3.50
30 minutes - 1 hour £6.50
1 hour - 2 hours £10.50
2 - 3 hours £13.00
3 - 4 hours £17.00
4 - 5 hours £21.00
5 - 6 hours £26.00
6 - 9 hours £38.00
9 - 12 hours £49.00
12 - 24 hours £56.00
Got stunned with 36 pounds recently, plane was late Cry
Community Veteran

................but dropping off at Heathrow is free.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ahh what is needed is a mass boycott of Birmingham Airport on one or more days. They make the charges because they think they can get away with it.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: AlaricAdair
They make the charges because they think they can get away with it.

WRONG !.... They KNOW they can get away with it........  Angry