cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bipolar Disorder

Steve
Pro

Bipolar Disorder

Do you think Its a bigger problem than people realise?
7 REPLIES
annerimmington
Grafter

Re: Bipolar Disorder

Never been really sure what it was...............is it a form of manic depression where you get highs and lows ?     
Steve
Pro

Can be yes, There are all different types.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Tricky question, we all get highs and lows at various times but at what stage does it get past normal and become a Bipolar Disorder.
I Suspect it becomes a Bipolar Disorder once a medical Professional diagnoses it as such but then again what one expert might define as a Bipolar Disorder another might not.
To Confuse things even more what might be Diagnosed as Bipolar Disorder in this country might not be classed as Bipolar in another country as the criteria might differ.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

No idea but my OH reckons I might suffer from it - if its even a real condition and not just something thats been exagerated.
Depression yes, horrible thing and they think giving you happy pills will solve your real world problems - it doesn't! They still exist and still grind you down.
Whether or not bipolar is a real thing or just a more serious form of depression / manic depression I've no idea. Without that I can't say about it being a bigger problem.
What I will say is that normal depression is a bigger problem than people realise especially amongst young men and men who's problems aren't addressed from that point onwards. By problems I'm not talking about whether your next smart phone is new or used, I mean things like where is the next meal coming from, facing eviction, no job etc. When you're facing that kind of thing time and time again its enough to grind anyone down for years on end.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
annerimmington
Grafter

Couldn`t Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) be classed as Bipolar ?  A friend of mind suffers really bad depression in winter but come spring she seems to come to life.
jmd
Grafter

Bipolar disorder is what used to be called manic depression in that the sufferer has a high and then a drop into depression.  Normal folk do not get the excesses that the sufferer has - I used to work with someone who when he had a "high" he would strip off in public/want sex/spend money that he had not got - then when he was "low" he would curl up in a corner crying and be suicidal.  Fortunately most of the time he was kept "level" by medication but occasionally he would have spells when he did not take that and would be sectioned and be in hospital for months.
He used to say that his brain was missing the barriers that stopped "normal" people from going to extremes in emotions and was very aware of what happened but just could not stop it.  His father had a similar mental illness.
It is very difficult for the sufferers as people can think when they are "high" that they are drunk or on drugs - when usually they are forgetting to take drugs!
Steve
Pro

Quote from: annerimmington
Couldn`t Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) be classed as Bipolar ?   A friend of mind suffers really bad depression in winter but come spring she seems to come to life.
I will answer your question, In short no, SAD Is different from Bipolar.