cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bins & Boxes.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Bins & Boxes.

Just got a circular from the council today informing us the 3 blue boxes used for paper & Tins will shortly be replaced by 2 further Wheelie bins.
This gives us a total of 4 Bins, one Black, One Brown, One Yellow & One Blue.
Not sure where they can find the money for this at the current time as the previous system worked OK.
There must be many terraced houses with no access at the back so bins will have to be left in the front garden, a major fire hazard if you live in an area plagued with vandalism.
So How many Bins & Boxes have you got ?
What colours are they ?
56 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Bins & Boxes.

3 wheelie bines: blue for recycling, brown for composting and a green one for the rest.
works ok, though the recycling often gets over full as it's only emptied every other week.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

1 blue and thats for everything but its a stepp up from where I lived previously where the council did no recycling at all (either that or they were fiddling the figures).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

One black wheelie for general household rubbish.
One slightly smaller blue wheelie for bottles, cans etc.
One small blue plastic box with a bonnet for paper and cardboard.
Trouble is I usually have much more paper and cardboard than bottles and cans so the roles of the two blue containers could do with being reversed.
The excess paper and cardboard goes in the black wheelie bin.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
mikeyd
Grafter

One large green bin for everything which is emptied weekly.
But I live on a lane which can only get a small (one compartment) bin lorry down.  Most people in our area have more than one bin.
I don't have to, but I store glass bottles, paper and cardboard until I have a boot full to take to the recycling center.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

At my previous house, the council somehow thought 5 people lived there, and they also supplied extra big bins when mine were "stolen" !
Just the two of us. But it was a very big house.
Though some weeks we filled two large bins, somehow. Alternate weeks collections.
I never put my house number on a bin, that way I can identify the bin(s), the council can't.
Council just about to increase our bins to three,
1) General
2) Green garden waste, used to be cardboard too.
3) Cardboard, tins and plastic bottles bin, which is magically sorted somewhere (Not China)
to replace various coloured boxes & bags.
For years now, they have trumpeted that recycling works, because the Green bins waste is a large proportion, but they measure by weight, and Garden rubbish that would never normally be collected, is heavy !
I have relatives in Manchester, who each have 5 bins !
But they are all collected on the same day, different wagons, 3 I think.
One general, two duplex.

There's only one bin that's important to me and gets emptied regularly ...

Have some fun, Google "Cartoon Bin", and the various Cartoon subdivisions !
Far too many to post
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=binsearch&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=yLyuT_6...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We've a series of compost bins, so hardly use the green (top) wheelie bin, I received a reprimand from the council for putting in Japanese Knotweed, Mare's tail and Hogweed.
A general black wheelie bin that normally gets 1/4 filled each week, mainly cellophane, plastics and plastic containers.
Tins, plastic bottles and glass in a plastic box that we take to the village re-cycling point, never seen a council collection.
We've been given a blue hessian sack for paper (actually got 4 of them) now being use for growing potatoes.
Paper usually gets made into Papier-mâché  bricks and dried then burnt as fire-lighters.
Biggest bugbear is fly-tippers, sometimes find a 'cache' of old car tyres thrown over the wall, council won't take them. Nowadays a nearby cement works pays for them (they shred and treat them, then use them in the process for making cement).
x47c
Grafter

Grey wheelie bin general waste  - emptied once every two weeks
Green wheelie bin for re-cyclable stuff  -----      ditto---------- on the alternate week
Small dark green box for kitchen waste -emptied every week
Brown bin  - but only if you pay for it annually  used for garden waste - emptied every two weeks with the green bin stuff
All my garden stuff  - and that lots is either composted on my many compost heaps (grass leaves etc) or burnt (pine needles etc)
The rest I don't give a toss and it all goes in the grey wheelie bin in black bags.  The other bins I've dumped at the bottom of the garden.
Community Veteran

Don't want to lose one of my (three, different shades of green or grey) recycling boxes as I keep a couple of bags of salt for snow clearing in it!!...just the perfect size.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I find the small blue slop bin great for planting a few daffodils in Smiley
Infinity
Pro

My large green (unused) boxes came in handy when I moved house.
Previously, some were used to put growbags in, outside !
Community Veteran

Just as I expected, a range in the number of bins depending on where you live.
The question is why ? There must be an optimum number for an efficient service and if that was implemented by all councils It would likely lead to a reduction in the cost of bins as they could be ordered in bulk at a standard size rather than the current arrangement, or perhaps I am missing something.
PlusComUK.....  are you sure Google is your friend ?
Community Veteran

Isn't Google everybody's friend Wink Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
There must be an optimum number for an efficient service and if that was implemented by all councils

Isn't about time we moved/started to merge Local councils to Unitary Authorities (merged district, borough, town and city councils) based say on county councils, rather than have duplication of central services.
I can see the requirement for local depots and offices, but central procurement, administration  and standardisation would be a major cost saving.
There are 433 councils in the UK – 353 in England, 22 in Wales, 32 in Scotland and 26 in Northern Ireland

Infinity
Pro

Quote from: gleneagles
PlusComUK.....   are you sure Google is your friend ?

The line is "Google is your friend" as you point out.
Not my friend, it is aimed at people who ask questions that can easily be answered by Google !!
Quote from: artmo
Isn't Google everybody's friend Wink Wink

But I am also a Friend of Google !