cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binge Drinking

annerimmington
Grafter

Binge Drinking

There have been a few  programmes recently  about how special NHS treatment buses park in city centres specifically so binge drinkers can get help, and likewise special treatment tents at music festivals.   Needless to say it was unbelievable how some of the youngsters get so out of their heads they cannot function and the NHS staff are left to pick up the pieces.    Same with A&E - they are clogging them up with their stupidity and preventing genuine emergency cases from getting treatment. .   In my opinion people who need to use their services because of drink related injuries or becoming so intoxicated they put their lives at risk, should be made to pay.     Underage binge drinking is a huge problem - like underage smoking.    The government reckon that putting a minimum price on a unit of alcohol is the solution, but that penalises responsible people (myself included)  who enjoy a drink.   I honestly don`t what the answer is  Shocked      
21 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Binge Drinking

Tips to avoid binge drinking
1  Drink long drinks (e.g. shandy) as they take longer to drink.
2  Put your drink down on the table rather than holding it in your hand as you will drink slower.
  3  Try to alternate you alcoholic drinks with soft drinks.
  4  Limit the amount of time you are out. If you know you won’t be home until late then go out later, are you really missing anything?
5  Limit the amount of money you have on you and leave your bank card at home!
6  Sip drinks rather than gulping!
itsme
Grafter

Definition of a binge drinker is 3 pints of >4% ABV in one night.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A Number of things need to be done,
1. The government have a working group who deal with this but the problem is the majority of members are from the Drinks industry, clearly they are not going to do anything to reduce the    amount of alcohol sold so membership of this group needs to change to include those who deal with those affected by alcohol abuse.
2. Oddly enough 5 pubs close each day as they cannot compete with the price of drinks available in supermarkets & other outlets so no one should be allowed to sell alcohol as a loss leader. If supermarkets want to sell things at below cost price they should do this with essential items like basic food stuffs rather than desirable items like alcohol. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the thoughts in Essex
http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/archive/2012/02/01/Gazette+letters/9505714.SOS_Bus_is_a_hav...
SOS Bus is a haven for patching up drunks
With regard to the drunken night time antics in Colchester which were highlighted in the Channel 4 documentary Party Paramedics, Val Best makes some valid points (Letters, Jan 30).
Yes, the situation has become worse due to the legislation brought in by Tessa Jowell, Culture Secretary in the last Labour government.
It is my understanding that Colchester Council cannot refuse a licence to sell alcohol on the basis alone that there are too many outlets already. If this is true, it needs to be challenged.
The police do their best, but quite clearly are under resourced.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A Well known treatment for those abusing alcohol but needs to be used in conjunction with Behaviour Therapy,
http://alcoholism.about.com/od/meds/a/antabuse.htm
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

In some clubs I've been in you have to drink fast before some little twirp drops a pill in it forcing you to buy another. Naturally once its empty you have to buy another which is rather annoying. That said, the more you drink the more you loosen up and enjoy yourself. Maybe I should become a career alchy?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Don't remember binge drinking being a problem when we had "closing times", and "supermarkets didn't sell alcohol."
Fixes: 123

It seems that many other countries who have had relaxed licencing laws don't have the same problems as we do in the UK. Is it a culteral thing?
@ Steve M They are sensible guidlines which responsible persons already use. It's the remainder who have no idea how to drink responsibly that are doing damage to their own health and putting such a strain on the health system.
To  me it seems a lifestyle choice and I agree with the OP that they should be billed for using the NHS. The downside is that they probably spend all their money on drink and wouldn't have any left. If they were on benefits then the costs could be recouped at souce but that would probably be deemed to be against their human rights Shocked
Leave them where they fall and, just maybe, a lesson may be learnt Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

annerimmington
Grafter

Definitely cultural................in France for example a typical night out consists of eating out and drinking with the meal as opposed to binge drinking in clubs and bars.
adie:quote
Fixes: 123

Yes - I see  lot of young people drinking in Ukraine but I haven't come across binge drinking.
You can get alcohol from most kiosks in the street (and there are many) but they seem to know how to pace themselves - even the 14 -year-old school kids Shocked

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
It seems that many other countries who have had relaxed licencing laws don't have the same problems as we do in the UK. Is it a culteral thing?

Yes and no IMO.
Yes in the fact that people do it by the thousands every weekend. Yes we now seem to be a nation of boozers who prefer to binge drink. So yes, I suppose you could say its a cultural thing.
No because I don't believe we're naturally like this. I think this stems from the current and last two recessions this country has had where people have been pushed towards booze as a way of spending their time and having fun. Unfortunately things keep going bust / being shut down by a council / government or H&S get it etc. I think that has had a large impact on many people who simply don't know what else to do anymore other than go and get drunk.
The UK is supposed to be one of the richest countries yet its the lower and middle classes that seem to be addicted to binge drinking whilst those at the top of society (where the money always goes) don't seem to do this quite as much. Other countries in Europe aren't like this and they're not nearly as obsessed with banking and money - IE they still have values. Sure in some places they have their boozers but I doubt they're anything like us. I suppose what I'm saying is, what else do you do? - Going out is expensive (if there is anywhere to go nearby), public transport is exspensive and so is the cost of living. With booze being so cheap these days you just need a few people around you and thats your evening sorted.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 104

Quote from: annerimmington
Definitely cultural................in France for example a typical night out consists of eating out and drinking with the meal as opposed to binge drinking in clubs and bars.

I believe you and I have been to different places in France Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I went to a pub with a friend my non alcoholic drink aka a Glass of diet coke cost me £1.80, my friends alcoholic drink cost £1.20 for a pint of larger.
Why is less than a pint of non alcoholic drink more expensive from a soda fountain in a pub ?   Angry
[Edit]
The cost to make my drink is less than 15p from a soda fountain, I know the cost with me ordering coke for a Pepsi soda fountain in a cafe that I worked in.
[Edit]
The Pepsi soda fountain looked a bit like this one that I got for the cafe!
IanSn
Grafter

It became 'fashionable' to get hammered at some point 10 or more years ago.
They even used to make it seem dead cool with DJs talking about it on the Radio1 breakfast show where kids listen before going to school.
But the Brits have been well-known for their habits for a long time in Spain, etc.