cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bin Collections

Fixes: 47

Bin Collections

I do miss the old days when bin men collected your bin from where you kept it and took it to the lorry for emptying.

Monday and Tuesday this week were very windy days and Tuesday was blue bin and box emptying day.

The blue wheelie bin is for cans and bottles, the blue box is for paper and card.

People put out their bin and box on the footpath Monday night and within an hour they had all blown over spilling their contents into the road.

Tuesday morning I filled a large carrier bag with cans from my front grass, Tuesday afternoon there were more which I left.

The paper and card from the overturned boxes was long gone down the estate....someone else's problem.

Again one blue box was blown down the road until it contacted the front of my car where it stayed for a while.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
41 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Bin Collections

Yes me too @Strat  and they moan if they to full or too heavy !

They got wheels and lifted on to wagon by hydraulics Knuppel

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Don't get me started Knuppel

My council is a nightmare.

You've got 3 small bins, glass, paper and metal.

Then a green (everything else bin), which gets collected every fortnight.

If you have a garden (and I do) you have to pay about £34 for (massive inverted commas) "Garden Waste Membership" brown bin. Someone remind me what my council tax should pay for? Also fortnightly the week the green bin isn't collected.

So one week it is the green one and the following it is brown.

Sometimes you can tell from what the neighbours put out, but at least my council do a checker where you whack in your postcode and it'll tell you.

Sorry I am cheerful today aren't I Tongue

Reminds me to put mine out tonight.

And I have forgotten what week it is .. think brown
* Goes to checker *
Yeyy - correct Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I guess most people are in the same or similar positions regarding the range of bins and containers but the problem might be getting even worse as at least one council have mentioned the idea of Monthly collections !

Wonder how you get on if you are colour blind, could be a problem knowing which bin was which ?

Last sentence is a joke for those with a sense of humour failure.

Wink

Community Veteran

Not just that @gleneagles, but you'd have a street of month old rotting food Shocked

Well that will smell nice outside your house and others, wouldn't it?

Plus it attracts pest insects, which I won't go into in case anyone is eating Tongue

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not sure if it is Birmingham but there is some part of the country where the binmen have been on strike for weeks with black bags full of rotting material attracting rats and other vermin.

So good example of what to expect with monthly collections, likely some will fill bags put them in the boot of the car and dump them at the roadside, we see enough of that now and that's before monthly collections start.

Community Veteran

When I was at uni, (this is Birmingham) - in the days before you had wheely bins.

So one black back had been ripped apart. The contents of it were all over the street.
I can only assume an animal like a Fox smelt something tasty overnight in there and decided to investigate.

Fixes: 125

Our red paper-waste bag broke a few days ago. I rang asking for a replacement to be told it will take around 6 to 8 weeks to have one delivered but can go to the council office (parking is abysmal and expensive there) and pick one up any dayRoll eyes

I keep forgetting we pay Council Tax for the privilege of working for the councilCrazy3

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Another thing with my council is they changed the bin system, when they introduced the garden tax.

So they wouldn't collect from the old brown bin - so what is the point in having a brown bin in your front garden taking up space which you can't use. None. They probably wouldn't collect it anyway unless it was empty.

I think I had to ring them up twice to collect it and that took them 2 weeks. Parents now have the same problem as me (same council).

Well at least you can all say I'm talking rubbish Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Alex wrote....

Alex wrote:

I think I had to ring them up twice to collect it and that took them 2 weeks. Parents now have the same problem as me (same council).

What ?  you expect the council to collect your kids in a wheelie bin quicker than 2 weeks  ? ? ?

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

We have 2 Wheelie bins, a Black one for general waste, and green for recycling and they are collected on alternate weeks and in my street at least pretty much everyone puts them out the morning of collection.

And because of the narrow lane running up the back of our properties where the bins are collected from, the bin men have little choice to put the bins back where they found them as they'd never get the wagon down the lane otherwise.

I don't understand why other councils over complicate things with combinations of Bins, boxes and bags.

Community Veteran

Yes @DaveyH, where my sister used to live (adjoining borough outside London) - they have exactly that.

Had an issue a week ago where they didn't collect the paper bin from my parents. The bin was full and had been left outside, everything else had been collected. Looked at neighbours bins they had been.

My recycling is the day after so I ended up taking a black bin bag on the bus and put it in mine to get rid of it. Then it got collected. Silly, but there you go.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well, I cannot moan about my council. We still have weekly collections!::shocked  General stuff goes in one bag, paper in the other. Garden waste and bottles are collected fortnightly.  Garden waste is £28 p.a.

Council is very good too about missed premises: phone them and they're back by next day.

Perhaps it's like that because my council covers a National Park.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

I guess I could have rung them. Although it was only paper I was carrying on the bus - so it wasn't heavy and didn't smell Smiley

I think my garden waste is about £33. My garderner is very good - she can work for an hour and manage to fill the entire bin up. It is not a small one too. Shocked

Community Veteran

Alex wrote:

My garderner is very good - she can work for an hour and manage to fill the entire bin up. It is not a small one too. Shocked

Can't be that good a gardener if they haven't learned about the secrets and benefits of the compost heap... Grin