cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bin Collections ( Night shift )

Steve
Pro

Bin Collections ( Night shift )

Council is looking into emptying the wheelie bins around 10pm as a review of shift patterns are being reviewed. As the title of the article states, what a load of rubbish.

Angus binmen could be facing 10pm collections as the council launches a review of shift patterns.

The local authority refused to rule out late-night working after a source told The Courier an evening shift is being considered.

The cash-strapped council said the proposals are at an “early stage” and no final decision has been made but it is looking to cut costs.

Union bosses say the move could be too complicated, and dangerous, to implement in the area.

Dougie Maguire, Unite regional co-ordinator officer, said: “I think there are many health and safety issues to consider with this. Drivers are essentially being asked to reverse down a road in the dark. Some of these roads aren’t suitable for lorries during the day, never mind when it’s dark for five months out of the year.

“Also, the roads tend to be clearer in residential areas during the day when cars are away, so in the evening the drivers would find it difficult to navigate some roads. I don’t see how it is going to work.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/angus-mearns/541939/a-load-of-rubbish-angus-bin-collectio...

7 REPLIES
Champnet
Rising Star

Re: Bin Collections ( Night shift )

For one of the very few times in my life I actually agree with the Union Rep’s comments.....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Would it not cost more money to empty bins at night as staff would need to be paid extra for night work ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Not to mention the noise, the binmen round here aren't exactly "quiet" when they're throwing the bins about, or when shouting into their phones on personal calls over the sound of the bin truck and it's hydraulic pumps...

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Ours aren't usually too bad.  You can here them (mainly the lorry), but at 6:30am it's usually ok. My main gripe with ours is the route they take through the village (more like a small town).  They collect down the main road, a very busy, not overly wide A road during the morning rush hour.  If you try to get through (either way) during that time it is usually around 20 mins to get the mile down the road between my house and the junction I use.  I think with a little better timing (likely around early afternoon) for that stretch of road the road is significantly quieter.

Community Veteran

In Spain bins are normally emptied during the night and no problems occur with this method of operation. They seem to work throughout the day and into the night.

Community Veteran

That would mean no one to see or clean up the mess trail left behind and who knows where the bin will end up by morning.

Plus an obstacle course for late night pedestrians to negotiate.

Steve
Pro

I'm not sure how it turned out for Girvan this happened to them back in 2016. Apparently less lorries=less £££ spent.

Mike Newall, Head of Neighbourhood Services at South Ayrshire Council said: "The new round the clock collections will mean minimal disruption to householders and no staff redundancies. 

"We lease the majority of vehicles at a fixed rate, so it makes sense to use them as much as we can.

"The new shift pattern means staff will need access to bins at night so I would ask householders for their cooperation to ensure vehicles are parked with this in mind."

http://www.troontimes.com/news/14389549.Bin_cutback_fury/