Big brother getting closer to reality.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Big brother getting closer to reality.

10 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Big brother getting closer to reality.

It's been possible for years.
Normally the researcher stands next to the volunteer and uses a simple on-off switch.
It's the equivalent of switching a light on using the interweb.
Why would a scientist feel the need to turn genuine research into a magic trick?
Perhaps their research grant application is a bit feeble.  Sad

Community Veteran

I'm reminded of Marty Feldman.
"These hands. These hands of a demented circus clown"
AndrewLorimer
Grafter

Quote from: doris
Am I the only one who finds this concept disconcerting?
http://beforeitsnews.com/science-and-technology/2013/08/researcher-gains-control-of-another-mans-bra...

It is natural to initially feel, as you do, but the scientists say:
Quote: "But Rao cautioned this technology only reads certain kinds of simple brain signals, not a person’s thoughts. And it doesn’t give anyone the ability to control your actions against your will."; and '“I think some people will be unnerved by this because they will overestimate the technology,” Prat said. “There’s no possible way the technology that we have could be used on a person unknowingly or without their willing participation.”'
Andrew
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: AndrewLorimer
“There’s no possible way the technology that we have could be used on a person unknowingly or without their willing participation.”'

Yeah but thats edging closer:
Scientists can implant false memories into mice
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite

You will not remember posting that. Smiley
AndrewLorimer
Grafter

“There’s no possible way the technology that we have could be used on a person unknowingly or without their willing participation.”'

The important and hopeful thing that is presented in this story, is that the animal can learn.
The section: "How a memory was implanted in a mouse" details a summary of the events that occurred, and what the scientists think the mouse experienced;
"A mouse was put in one environment (blue box) and the brain cells encoding memory were labelled in this environment (white circles)
These cells were then made responsive to light
The animal was placed in a different environment (the red box) and light was delivered into the brain to activate these labelled cells
This induced the recall of the first environment - the blue box. While the animal was recalling the first environment, they also received mild foot shocks
Later when the mouse was put back into the first environment, it showed behavioural signs of fear, indicating it had formed a false fear memory for the first environment, where it was never shocked in reality".
It is claimed that: "it {the mouse} showed behavioural signs of fear, indicating it had formed a false fear memory". But is that true? It could equally be the case that the creature, when finally placed back in the first environment, recalled that when it was first here his brain cells encoding memory were interfered with (made responsive to light). Continuing to think about the matter it remembers that when previously in the red box his brain cells were again interfered with and it was given foot shocks. "This is fishy", it thinks.
Meanwhile the head scientist is studying:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: billnotben

You will not remember posting that. Smiley

lol

The important and hopeful thing that is presented in this story, is that the animal can learn.
The section: "How a memory was implanted in a mouse" details a summary of the events that occurred, and what the scientists think the mouse experienced;

I think you're missing the point..
Couple of years back I read an article (that I now typicaly can't find) that explained that scientists had managed to READ images from dead mice's brains. They'd managed to work out how the brain stores things and where and actually read individual images back out. If they can do that it's only a matter of time before they can do the opposite..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
AndrewLorimer
Grafter

I think you're missing the point..

Which point do you think I am missing?
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

You might find http://www.vision-systems.com/articles/2013/08/software-uses-fmri-brain-scans-to-identify-what-a-per... interesting.
(Ignore the peculiar Daily Mail references).
Note that it simply allows you to see a lo-fi representation of what a live mouse is seeing.
However, you need to have prior knowledge of what kind of thing the mouse is looking at.
For example, if the mouse (unexpectedly) sees a cat, your algorithm wouldn't pick this up.

AndrewLorimer
Grafter

Thank you for your post above. I have just read about the story on the various websites mentioned via the links.
Kadhim Shubber writing on: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-08/20/decoding-perception reports:

'"We're basically decoding perception," says Marcel van Gerven, a co-author of the paper, which is to be published in Neuroimage.
Their technique relies on intercepting visual stimuli at the occipital lobe, the visual processing centre at the back of the brain, where there is still a one-to-one correlation with the data at the retina.'
However, there is a difference between being able to decode activity in a particular area of the brain and reading another's thoughts.
Private personal thoughts are private; and for long may they remain so.