Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Business Bullies

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Big Business Bullies

We all like low(er) prices for everything... and I can bet that many of us just use the "local" shop as a "showcase" to view the item, before purchasing cheaper on - line...  I am amongst that group. !

However... reading the paper today ( on line version, of course, because it`s free ! ). ( and I`m a yokshuman, too ! ).

there have been a lot of "big store closures" in the past year, meaning thousands have lost their job, and our high street shops are becoming a place for charity shops or empty shop premises, because the "little man" is being bullied by the council(s), into paying ever increasing -so called- "business rates"..

Life is very difficult for these shop owners,... add to that, the same council(s) will also increase the car parking charges, which stops people wanting to come into the town centres to support the shops with local purchases.

So, we have lost the likes of Woolworth, and other "big chain" names,  because of council greed, and our own demand for lower prices... 

Just a while ago, I read another article, which says that TESCO, who are the number 1 supermarket in Britain, and have many supermarkets across the EU countries, is going to get all pally with the French equivalent.... CARREFOUR, which will, according to TESCO, bring prices down, due to their "increased buying power"...

Do they also understand, that using their "increased buying power" ( aka bullying tactics ), amongst their suppliers, that they are going to drive many of them out of business, due to lower margins on their produce.

Our farmers, and other suppliers, already fear these big bully tactics, but have no real alternative but to accept them... if they don`t, and the bully boys stop trading with them,,  current and future stock will remain unsold.  What will they do when that happens? cut the workforce, and cut the production....

What will we do, because eventually, there will be no supply, and consequently shortages will mean a steep rise in prices...

Well done Tesco

Hot weather note..... This year`s wheat harvest is being done about 6 weeks early, due to the hot weather,... good news, to a point... but... watch out for the price of Potatoes, and other veg, rising quite a lot, due to the same hot weather stunting growth, and  production.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Big Business Bullies

All that's needed to finish off my town centre is for the council to bring in some sort of congestion/pollution tax.

That will be the death knell for the remaining struggling businesses.

All that will be left are the stores that are converted to (non council tax paying) student accommodation.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

I read somewhere that a 17% cut in food prices would be possible once we are out of the EU.  Of course it won't happen, but that's another story.

Our local High Street has solved the problem of empty shops, just open another betting shop or pound store!  I'm sure that's what we all want, isn't it?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

It's the way things work these days, no thought is given to the future, a reduction in business rates would have helped a number of small business owners but no one in government appears to realise the long term loss will be greater the more firms that go to the wall, same situation with property rental companies, is it not better to take in less rent until times pick up or let a firm close and get nothing, unless the aim is to sell the property for housing.

In this area thousands of new houses have been built, the roads are solid with traffic for most times of the day, so how much is it costing tradesmen and others who work for themselves in lost time as time equals money ? Sure there is talk of more roads but that is years away, should the roads not have been built first ?

The whole system is a bodge up with few able to react to the rapid changes taking place, those who do act and can think outside the box will be the ones who succeed and make money, those who continue in the old way will go to the wall as history shows us except these days things happen much quicker.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

However it's cut up domestic council tax, business rates or national taxation, the bottom line is that the services have to be paid for, but, of course not in this illustrious circle, in others' money. Wink A problem with rates is their being a charge on the premises, payable before a penny is earned. By nature rather than bias in favour of  big business, the latter have resources to cope. I have my doubts that all small failures are down to rates, national tax and the like, as some like to believe. There's always the thought, the dream of running one's one business, but ISTM that some fail to research the realities. commercial and personal profile.

Sales Tax looks attractive, as it is paid from turnover, but it would greatly favour the big towns, which could get away with a lower % levy to support services than say my local council, sandwiched between Southampton City and the upcoming Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch amalgamated authority. New Forest Towns are tiddlers. Equalisation would be a necessity, but government, I believe, wants less involvement in local taxation.

Valuation calculations are said to be unfair on smaller businesses, because their properties have a larger % in  the front zone; true, yet is it somewhat mitigated by  relief?

Tesco + Carrefour--bullying! I can accept that to some limited extent, yet we benefit by lower prices, they make more profits, the government take more tax.

As I see it, unless we want a command economy with fixed ,immutable and probably high prices with inefficiencis, we'd better put up with it, but under some controls.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Services have to be paid for yes, but there has to be some common sense which is often lacking.

A number of decades ago talking to a very nice pubs landlord, in an out of the way place in Cornwall, he mentioned how it was a struggle to survive out of the holiday season. The rates were far too high he said. Of course my friend sitting next to me, an accountant, just said ah well you make money in summer you have to live on that. I just said this pub briefly makes in summer what other town pubs continually make the whole year round. So I agreed with the landlord that the rates were not fair. Not long after that local rags reported that things were changing and allowances would be made for businesses with a seasonal twist.

Problem still with the rates in many places is they're not fair. Accountants will flourish their spreadsheets and say yes they are. But what do they know. Numbers on paper are not the complete story.

Highlighted
Hero

The publican and the accountant are both telling the truth as they see it, and the seasonal adjustment has helped, but the benefit to the publican has to come from somewhere i.e. others including the beneficiary of the adjustment.

The accountant may seem harsh, but I think not. If one takes on a seasonal business with eyes open, then it must be known what pattern the fluctuations take and allowance made for bad seasons. Of course other matters like fashion and taste changes can also have effects

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

True enough but with bean counters in charge things will get very bland and samey as they already are to some degree,

We would end up with no shops/service outlets anywhere outside of towns except of the superstore variety. Anything other than mainstream shops/services forget it. Nothing to find in the countryside or small village. Just houses with residents in wondering where all the pubs/post office/shop has gone.

Highlighted
Hero

@billnotben from your earlier post a nice pubs landlord has me wondering if you meant a landlord of a nice pub or a nice landlord of a pub. Landlords need to be pleasant, but nice sounds a bit limp, so I hope the pub was nice.

Opinions of a location can be influenced by situation:

Why one ends up there? Was or was not some desperation involved? How much did that affect the ambience or talk acceptance? A bit OT I admit!

Pubs are special, and years ago there were few accountants or auditors that dealt with them. They could spot the truth.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Both a good pub and landlord.

I expect by now it's gone the way of many a good pub.

Probably now a coffee house or gelato parlour, whatever that is.

Used to be what sort a quaint pub or shop will we find in the next village.

Chances are now it will just be another McDonald's.