cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Brother watching you

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Big Brother watching you

If anyone is interested new guidelines have come into effect for "authorities" using overt CCTV monitoring in public places.
In essence there has to be a valid reason with a contact point to raise queries and the reason for installing the cameras has to be regularly reviewed.  Recording sound is a no-no except in exception circumstances. This might put paid to a few TV programmes which CCTV camera footage to pad their hours of viewing.  I've not spotted anything relating to videos on police cars, but I'd have thought there are only allowed to use them for their original purpose and have to delete them once that purpose has expired.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
12 REPLIES
Razer
Grafter

Re: Big Brother watching you

And they'll just carry on and put them where they like and record what they want, I'm quite sure.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Guidelines are only guidelines, they're not solid rules and thats how things continue to slip in this country.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The local authority in the area I now live seem to be real Snoopaphiles with many CCTV cameras. Meanwhile our new neighbours laugh at us when we lock the front door while we are in the house.(as per Ex-Londoners).
I might have some fun soon asking the local Council if they follow the new guidelines.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Razer
Grafter

"Dear Mr Adair,
Thank you for your recent enquiry to question whether the Council follows the new guidelines for the use of CCTV cameras. We were pleased to receive your hand-delivered letter and note with interest on the recording we have of you when you brought it into our office that you were wearing a new pair of trousers. We do also happen to have a recording of you going into Marks & Spencer just the day before, and so we expect you bought them there. We would like to assure you that we will make every effort to cross check with our benefits department and the local JCP to ensure that as you've clearly got the money to spend on yourself, you're not actually committing some fraud. As to the camera use guidelines, we'll let you know in due course what we have decided.
Yours sincerely
Your Masters"
Fixes: 47

Big Brother watching you

Well I'm not watching Big Brother Tongue
I have an IP cam watching my car parked on the road which is capable of recording people as they pass by on the footpath.
Should I be registered somewhere?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Razer

Yours sincerely
Your Masters"

When did they drop  signing off with " your obedient servant" ? 

Around 1640 I believe.
http://www.conservatives.com/People/The_History_of_the_Conservatives/Origins.aspx
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Strat

I have an IP cam watching my car parked on the road which is capable of recording people as they pass by on the footpath.

If the cameras are installed on residential property and are for personal domestic use, they are unlikely to breach the Data Protection Act.
This is because the use of CCTV cameras for domestic purposes, for example, protecting a home from burglary, is exempt from the data protection principles, even if the camera overlooks the street or other areas near the house.
If you are concerned about the use of domestic CCTV, it may be worth contacting your local police.
However, if you or your neighbour are using CCTV for business purposes, you'll need to comply with the Act.

At a previous house, I had several CCTV Cameras, and ensured that they all were pointed downwards, avoiding seeing into neighbours bedrooms.
I did check with the local Police, they said my installation was fine.
In fact they contacted me a couple of times, and came round to view footage in relation to other nearby incidents.
And, in one instance, I helped a neighbour prove that a delivery was NOT made, despite the delivery company stating a delivery was attempted.
The cameras were visible, on a large detached house, in an elevated position, and I had no attempts at any illegal activities such as Burglary.

Nowadays, there aren't any near neighbours to worry about.
Though I do have a few CCTV Cameras, including one pointed at the entrance to the grounds, which includes the Public Highway.
Again, a quick check, everything is fine.

For my businesses, again I checked with the Police & Data Protection, where different Rules apply, and I comply with requirements.

Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Meanwhile our new neighbours laugh at us when we lock the front door while we are in the house.(as per Ex-Londoners).

We often lock the door and keep the chain on while inside. I don't see why it should be an issue for anyone.
Quote from: Strat

For private cameras, you don't have to register them and you can use them for monitoring the security of your own property (which includes your car). The police will tell you to check the data protection act but the DPA does not apply to individual people.
There are some planning laws regarding them being fitted outside to your house but they are very accomodating (I was looking into this a while back). Believe it or not, you can legally fit one of these bad boys to your house if you wanted to:

The Town and Country Planning Act states (at the bottom of the page):
PART 33CLOSED CIRCUIT TELEVISION CAMERAS
Class A
A.    Permitted development
The installation, alteration or replacement on a building of a closed circuit television camera to be used for security purposes.
A.1    Development not permitted
Development is not permitted by Class A if—
(a)the building on which the camera would be installed, altered or replaced is a listed building or a scheduled monument;
(b)the dimensions of the camera including its housing exceed 75 centimetres by 25 centimetres by 25 centimetres;
(c)any part of the camera would, when installed, altered or replaced, be less than 250 centimetres above ground level;
(d)any part of the camera would, when installed, altered or replaced, protrude from the surface of the building by more than one metre when measured from the surface of the building;
(e)any part of the camera would, when installed, altered or replaced, be in contact with the surface of the building at a point which is more than one metre from any other point of contact;
(f)any part of the camera would be less than 10 metres from any part of another camera installed on a building;
(g)the development would result in the presence of more than four cameras on the same side of the building; or
(h)the development would result in the presence of more than 16 cameras on the building.
A.2    Conditions
Development is permitted by Class A subject to the following conditions—
(a)the camera shall, so far as practicable, be sited so as to minimise its effect on the external appearance of the building on which it is situated;
(b)the camera shall be removed as soon as reasonably practicable after it is no longer required for security purposes.
A.3    Interpretation of Class A
For the purposes of Class A—
    “camera”, except in paragraph A.1(b), includes its housing, pan and tilt mechanism, infra red illuminator, receiver, mountings and brackets; and
    “ground level” means the level of the surface of the ground immediately adjacent to the building or, where the level of the surface of the ground is not uniform, the level of the highest part of the surface of the ground adjacent to it.

Hope that helps..
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
When did they drop  signing off with " your obedient servant" ? 

Probably about the same time police stopped calling you sir, and instead expected you to call them sir.

A house 4 doors down from me has 2 CCTV cameras on the front of the property overlooking their front parking area (2 cars) and a little of the public footpath.
They have 2 signs up on the house advising of the existence of the cameras.
Community Veteran

The signs are simply a deterrent and not required by private CCTV operators.
They are supposed to overlook your own property but can look out onto the street to monitor your car.