cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Ben to fall silent

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Big Ben to fall silent

Except for important events like New Year and remembrance Sunday. If I were to put on my tin foil hat I can't help but wonder if they are changing the frequency and vibrations for some form of mind control...... Find out in the year 2021.

http://news.sky.com/video/digi-194554mo-big-ben-square-social-videomov-10989035

21 REPLIES
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Big Ben to fall silent

Shame they're wasting Billions of tax payers cash on the refurb.They should sell it off.

They could use all the tower blocks that have been evacuated since Grenfell to rehouse the vermin...
Community Veteran

What's new. They waste 46 million just thinking about having a bridge with a few trees on it.

Imaginary Bridge

It's easy when it's someone else's money.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Maybe they should do crowdfunding, that way when no one donates cash to them they might get the hint.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

They should employ someone with a megaphone in the tower to imitate the chimes of the bells on the hour & every quarter hour, just so it's not too silent... Grin

Fixes: 125

Surprised they haven't sampled the bell sound and set up a few large speakers for the durationWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Sounds a simple enough idea but I've no doubt that if it was arranged by the government it would cost several millions and still fail to work.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Update: Theresa May has attacked plans for Big Ben to be kept silent for four years while restoration work takes place. 

the Prime Minister has called on Commons Speaker John Bercow to "urgently" review the plans.

She said: "Of course we want to ensure people's safety at work but it can't be right for Big Ben to be silent for four years.

"And I hope that the Speaker, as the chairman of the House of Commons commission, will look into this urgently so that we can ensure that we can continue to hear Big Ben through those four years."

http://news.sky.com/story/big-ben-may-not-be-silent-for-four-years-after-all-10990717

Roll eyes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Well if its gonna be useless for 4 years they might as well do the standard thing - sell it off as scrap. Thats their typical policy isn't it.

Not like anyone will really miss it.. unlike the aircraft carriers and harriers that many of us do miss.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
DaveyH
Pro

If only someone would silence TM for 4 years, or better still permanently...

Fixes: 125

7up wrote:

Not like anyone will really miss it..

I will miss it - when I'm up that waySmiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

DaveyH wrote:

If only someone would silence TM for 4 years, or better still permanently...

I thought that about Cameron a few times lol

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Given the wide availability of FTTP and 1 Gbps symmetric networks in the UK, "they" should close both the Houses of Parliament and use video conference  and "remote meetings" from the local offices of the politicians.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

To all the Daily Mail lovers of the forum this ones for you. DM3.png

Common Sense can be found hear if you need it  https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/uk/debunking-daily-mails-big-ben-front-page-not-health-safety-go...

According to the Guardian the House of Commons commission says plans to silence London landmark for renovation work will go ahead despite PM’s objection.

Oh dear....

DaveyH
Pro

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2017/08/parliament-spent-130000-on-pest-control-last-year/

Yet there's still 650 of the [-Censored-] infesting the commons....