cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bicycles

Community Veteran

Bicycles

Hi people,
Not the usual topic here, but I'm struggling to find a good website, forum about bicycles.
At a late age, i'm seriously looking to get a new bike, to help me keep fit and to have a bit of fun.
i want to do noncompetitive, just fun cycling on roads, and sometimes on forest / farm tracks etc - occasional relaxed touring etc so i think I need what they call a hybrid bike.
I've popped into two local shops and they recommend for example the Trek 7000 series and with a budget of about £500 for everything includinhg helmet, pannier , lights etc, it looks like a 7200 or a Specialized  Crosstrail Sport Huh.
Could anyone advice on good comparitive websites, forums, magazines to look at.
What sort of discounts do bike shops go for if pushed.
many thanks
Mal
3 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Bicycles

It is argued that a sprung rear suspension is not a good idea, a front one is.
Go for as many gears as you can, to suite your varied terain
If £500 is you budget, you can get a reasonable one for that, but Comp bikes can cost £1000's
Fixes: 105

Hmmm...
I do enjoy my bikes, though I am into straight off roaders - I have a competition class Bianchi at the moment.
Out of the 2 that have been recomeneded to you I'd go for the specialized one, they make some great bikes. The Marin Redwood may also be worth a look too.
Sign up here http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/ for some good advice and chat Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Agree with pierre (now there's a first) a sprung rear wheel, either by a sprung saddle mount or rear forks will absorb a good deal of the effort you are trying to put into turning the pedals. You will notice that racing (road or track) cyclists -often the first to embrace cycling innovation- do not use "suspended" frames for their bikes, front or rear. Or indeed sprung saddles, for the same reason.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.