cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of exploding glass doors on washing machines.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Beware of exploding glass doors on washing machines.

Article here..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2211334/Washing-machine-safety-alert-brands-including-Zanuss...
My Bosch Washing Machine glass door exploded in the middle of the night, door closed, but not in use. About a year ago.
Actually, it imploded, most of the glass was inside the machine drum.
It was really, really loud, fortunately I was upstairs when it happened.
Can you imagine the mess if it had actually been in operation washing clothes !

I've found an Inventory photo, I thinks it reads as a Bosch Classixx 1200 Express .
(Yes I do Inventory photo's, updated every few months, in a password protected folder)

Replaced with a Beko !! with 3 year warranty.
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Beware of exploding glass doors on washing machines.

NEver seen anything like that before but the SO had a bra in the washing machine once. The metal support came loose and was hitting the glass every time it went round. Needless to say spin time came and it cracked  Shocked
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

When working for Hoover Ltd attached to the R&D department I saw a very small number of broken glass domes. It was of course very difficult to figure out after the event what had caused it. Mostly as the user's first action was to get the washing out and shake out all the glass and the evidence. On only one occasion did we get to the machine as was after the breakage. The contents of the drum consisted of two pairs of jeans complete with heavy buckle belts which the user had forgotten to remove.
However well the machine distributes the washing evenly around the drum prior to spinning, with two pairs of jeans only its going to be an almost impossible job leaving the very heavy wet jeans very unbalanced. There was no report of water flooding out of the machine when the dome broke so it was concluded it broke during out-of-balance spin being hit by the belt buckles. It was surmised that if the dome hadn't broken then it would have been heavily damaged and stressed leaving a full blown breakage in-waiting.
Bra-wires were (and probably still are) the bane of the working life of service engineers. They are always coming out of the underwear. getting through to the pump and jamming the pump impeller. When arriving to a machine that "won't empty" I would often ask if the owner had "lost anything recently" before pulling the offending article out of the pump, to the embarrassment and empty purse of the user. If the wire gets caught between the drum and tub (outer drum) it can cause considerable damage scoring the thin stainless steel pushing in drainage holes to sharp edges that tears subsequent clothing.
The problem is that the wires are held into the bra with a blob of paint on the ends which is heated to stick in place, this can and does fail after repeated washing. So girls check your bras for missing wires they're probably in the washing machine waiting to cause an expensive repair.
Which is a very long way round of saying Sprite is almost certainly right.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

PS. one other item that causes considerable dame to washing machines is coins left in pockets; they can get caught edge-wise around the spinning drum and can rip the drum to shreds and any washing therein is also ripped and torn. The outer tub can be damaged as well as can the heating element. 50p pieces are/were the worst offenders.
When clearing blocked pumps it was quite common to come away with a small profit in coins.
Check your pockets before washing...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

Good advice there from one who knows.
I always check pockets but don't wash bras as a rule.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 104

You just buy new ones then?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

Grin
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
St3
All Star

I have the Bosch Classixx 1200 Express washing machine, mines 5 year old never had any issues with mine. Got it at a reasonable price to, i think we paid £280 for it online at comet.
Id love to say mines a smashing machine, but mine aint smashed Tongue
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

My own opinion is that materials used in products is of a lower standard to keep the price down.
I Base this opinion on my recent experience of a melting cooker knob discussed in an earlier post along with past reports in the press about exploding glass oven doors and now according to press reports exploding washing machine doors.
Looking at our 5 year old Zanussi washing machine I think it's clear plastic, I wonder why they switched to glass ? cheaper ?
alanb
Grafter

That has got to be a manufacturing fault in the glass.
Glass, in its natural state is extremely brittle. When it cool down after manufacturing or moulding, the surface of the glass is covered with thousands (possibly millions) of microscopic cracks. It only has to be subjected to a little stress or shock and it starts to break along the microscopic cracks, causing it to shatter into tiny pieces.
To make the glass more robust the microscopic cracks have to be 'filled in'. If this process is not done correctly the glass will always be susceptible to breaking due to latent or recent stresses.
If anyone is wondering how you fill microscopic cracks in glass, one of the methods is to heat the glass in an atmosphere of gaseous Tin. This deposits a thin layer of Tin on the surface of the glass, just a few atoms thick, which also fill in the cracks.
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, Hoover also switched to a polycarbonate dome (it was coloured mid-blue) it was just as prone to shattering with metal objects in the wash load (in the relative rarity of the event) However, its main drawback was appearance, the inner surface was attacked by the wash liquor fairly quickly making them (worse in hard water areas) opaque.
Washing machines are meant to wash clothes etc. not metal belt buckles, pens and coins.
One thing that we always recommended was always load your machine to capacity (not over-loaded) never seriously under load it as it won't spin smoothly in balance. A bright engineer worked out that a full load of towels weighed when fully wet before spinning near to a 30 to 40 lb. If that load is not distributed evenly around the drum you have a machine capable of demolishing itself (and the door glass dome)
One other modification I've always adapted machines we've had to is cold fill only rather than hot and cold. You will end up with a better wash simply because the water takes longer to heat= more wash action. Ok not so economic perhaps. Same applies to dishwashers, the manufactures often recommend a hot supply, pointing out how fast they work, doesn't necessarily mean a better wash though.

Infinity
Pro

Keep an eye on Watchdog tomorrow · Wed, Oct 3 · 20:00-21:00 · BBC One (HD)
I have supplied photo's & info to them, looks like they are going to feature this problem.
IanSn
Grafter

Looks like you have the door shut when not in use?
Always leave it ajar! It goes from v hot to cold inside there...
Infinity
Pro

In my case, Door & Seal wiped dry after use, and door left open for a day or two before closing, to help prevent the black stains.
My current washer, as above, but door left open all the time. No black stain after a year.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: IanSn
Looks like you have the door shut when not in use?
Always leave it ajar! It goes from v hot to cold inside there...
When is a door not a door ?
When it's ajar ! Wink