cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Doris

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Beware of Doris

OK... get your snow shovels sharpened up... snow chains at the ready... start panic buying food, storing bottled water.. get your emergency gas bottles, for your heating,  and your genny topped up.. make sure you know where your candles and matches are kept..  top up your mobile phone....

. here it comes...

You have been warned......

( yeah ... It`s a Daily Mail warning ! ).....

Cheesy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4245058/UK-weather-Thursday-Storm-Doris-Day.html

76 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Beware of Doris

Daily Mail: eight inches of snow and floods set to bring travel chaos across Britain.

Met Office: likely there will be snow in the far north of England and for much of Scotland

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@Strat  Yup !.... and if you look at the maps further down... south of the M4 seems to be hardly affected at all !...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Community Veteran

Yeah.... like I said... South of the M4.. ... ....  ....  ....   ...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Except I was replying to Strat's post and I don't call Humberside the far north of Britain - actually more like the midlands

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Glad it doesn't effect us Southerners! We'll be basking in warm sunshine and dipping our toes in the warm sea Thumbs Up

Community Veteran

@Oldjim Ah well.... shudda put @Strat at the start, then ! ! !...Roll eyes

Community Veteran

MKSlinky wrote:

Glad it doesn't effect us Southerners! We'll be basking in warm sunshine and dipping our toes in the warm sea Thumbs Up

Alledgedly ! !  CoolCoolCool

I always think of Sheffield as being in the North but we seem to be classified as Midlands or North Midlands or even East Midlands Huh

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Talking of weather, it was mentioned on TV last night that Rickets is on the increase in this country, for some people this is caused by a lack of sunlight which most of us know anyway. However, what many of us (probably all of us) didn't know is that sun cream also blocks the Vitamin D we absorb from sunlight. What a quandary, do we protect ourselves from skin cancer or ignore that in favour of not getting Rickets? Undecided

Or we could buy vitamin D from the Chemist but why pay for something that comes free with sunlight.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

That stuff from the chemist won't do any good, not unless it's the high strength stuff doctors prescribe.

Yes free with sunlight but that was my point, so is skin cancer if we don't protect ourselves.

Community Veteran

Not so sure that Sunlight, AKA subathing, causes cancer of the skin...

I spent many hours ( 2 years in Mauritius) ( and several at sea in the Far East.)..  in the tropical band of the world.... sunbathing on tropical beaches for hours on end...Yup !  I went red to start with... then, as time passed, I gradually became a nice "light coffee colour" ! !..  Never used any form of sun cream/blocker....

Many others spend a week or two on the beaches of sunny spain or southern france... and, like me, do not suffer from skin cancer..

Sunlight aka sunbating MAY be blamed for the cancer, but I think it is more likely to be in the actual bodily make-up of genes and other parts that... combined with subathing... is the cause. 

The medical profession wish to keep it simple to exhort the masses, not to go subathing, thus reducing the mass numbers of cases... which then ( as far as they are concerned ) proves that sunbathing DOES cause cancer...

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

So Thursday is Doris Day. Cheesy