cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bevin Boys honoured

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Bevin Boys honoured

A memorial was unveiled today to honour the so-called Bevin Boys; those who served in the essential work in the coal mines during the Second World War.
Most were conscripted into the mines, a large proportion (but not all) were contentious objectors, who, did not only have to put up with the hard dangerous labour conditions but were also very badly treated by those who viewed COs as a low-life of the worst kind. None of this has been mentioned in the news bulletins today.
Its about time though that this essential work was honoured.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Bevin Boys honoured

Shame their recognition is so late but better late than never.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

One of my (old) bosses was a Bevin boy! He always said that he hated it, but seemed to accept it as his lot.  Sad
Geoff,
York.
itsme
Grafter

Another honour for Jimmy Savile?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Listening to the news reports it sounded like every tenth person was allocated to Mine work but as Petlew says no mention was made that most were contentious objectors. Can't imagine what it must have been like if you were sent to work in the mines and you were not a contentious objector as sadly everyone gets tarred with the same brush !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quite an interesting article about the Bevin Boys here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/features/3636035/Bevin-Boys-Most-of-us-couldnt-wait-to-get-out.html
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Hmmm, my old boss often said that he couldn't transfer to the armed forces! Now, I understand why.  Shocked
Geoff,
York.