Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best mans speech

Euge
Grafter

Best mans speech

Hello fellow plusnet users  Smiley
I know that I am not the most popular forum user but I assure you that any advice I give is from the heart, and to what I believe to be the best solution from my limited knowledge in IT. I am trying to improve my knowledge and ability in the sector and as such have my faults therefore use these forums as a learning curve. Please give me some guidence via PM if I give bad advice or incorrect solutions as I don't take this negatively, rather as a way to improve myself in future. I know that there a lot of very knowledgeable people that use these boards, and feel privileged to speak to them on a daily basis.
With that out of the way, I ask you to give me some advice on my predicament as it stands. I will be giving the best mans speech for my brothers wedding this coming May. So I ask, please can you give me any helpful advice, from experience, that I guess one of you out there has had, on delivering a good speech. I don't lack the confidence in speeking in front of a crowd of people but I wish to know that the speech I give will do my brother justice.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Best mans speech

Euge, I've never thought of you being unpopular. Don't worry about it.
As for your best man speech request, here's a link that might get you going:
http://tinyurl.com/coqjnh
Good luck Smiley
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Love to help but my best man speech for my brothers wedding was horrific, doing my Groom speach next month!!!! Embarrassed
Community Veteran

Just say something like "I hope your marriage will be like our kitchen table...........all legs and no drawers"
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Gentlemen, would you please be upstanding and bow your heads, to be followed by a two minutes silence for our brother mrmarkus, in recognition that he goes unprepared to the fate that awaits him.
Good luck is such an inadequate phrase.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 101

"

"
Amen
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Roger that
Loombucket
Grafter

Just reassure the groom that his new bride is utterly AMAZING in bed.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'll resist the temptation to ask, how do you know?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

That's funny! LOL
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

It's a daunting prospect I know, Euge, but don't worry - you'll be among friends and family, not trying to give a 'performance' in front of complete strangers.
There's plenty of advice in books and on websites, but from experience I'd say there's no harm in having a dram before you speak, but don't overdo it! Don't try to learn a 'script' word for word, but have a card listing the main topics, in a font large enough to see without peering.
Best of luck - hope it goes as well for you as it did for me at my brother's wedding.
Not young enough to know everything
Lurker
Grafter

If you are not a funny person - don't try to be.
I've seen far too many speeches where people try to put on an act - that is not what is called for - you have been asked because of what you mean to the groom.
Just be yourself, and speak from the heart.
Make sure you study form, and ensure you thank the correct people etc and you should be 'all good'.
Decide whether you are a confident orator or not, and from there you can figure out what notes you need to make.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

30 days to go, i aint gonna bother writing a Groom speech and just fly by the seat of my pants i think!
A few vodka's and off i go!!
Lurker
Grafter

Worry less about the speech, and more about what you are getting into!
I got married in December, and everybody was far too busy congratulating me and wishing me well.
If only people had been truthful about what getting married means...
Hehe, and you all think I am joking...
Fixes: 101

You're only 5 months in, my 8th ani coming up in a couple of weeks.
And I'm sure you were warned plenty round these parts before you took the plunge...
Will Moderate For Thanks