cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best ISP - what a joke!!!

anmckendry

Best ISP - what a joke!!!

I am fed up that plusnet constantly tell me they are the best ISP -
Email service is very limited ( no out of office function, send mail only when on network, Spam and junk filters a joke, no backups) service is unreliable, and customer service is terrible - the list goes on and on..
The survey is rubbish anyway it was a survey of under 200 people who where paid for answering and the top ten where all more or less the same!!! not something to be proud of!!! and even if it was why do you have to keep telling in particularly in every support reply!!!! very very annoying when I am complaining about service outages etc
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Best ISP - what a joke!!!

Quote from: anmckendry
customer is terrible

:cough:
List goes on and on?  Huh
You have two in your list, one of them is the above nonsensical quote.
Who was paid to answer the survey?Huh
Oh btw, welcome to the forum.
anmckendry

I meant customer service not customer - just updated it.
Go to uswitch and see the details on the survey. They paid yougov to do it who in turn pay people to answer the survey. You can make statistics say what you want. I wouldnt be surprised if uswitch get commission if people sign up to plusnet.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

...I wouldnt be surprised if uswitch get commission if people sign up to plusnet.

AFAIK uswitch only mention organizations who will pay them commission.

Community Veteran

no out of office function

Could you please point to another ISP that does this?
send mail only when on network

Authenticated SMTP is coming.  However, it is a rare function that other ISPs provide.
Spam and junk filters a joke

Spam defense is a constantly ongoing process.  Plusnet have made their share of mistakes, but they are moving in the right direction with the rollout of the Critical Path trials.
no backups

Backups of what, exactly? 
service is unreliable

I would beg to differ on this.  For a great many customers the service operates as advertised.
customer service is terrible

I rarely have to contact Customer Support, but in the few chances I've had to I've been impressed with their speed and knowledge. 
Rather than give a list of Plusnet's failings, (which tbh will go unnoticed on the forums) why not try to explain the problems that you've been having and see if we can come to a successful resolution.
B.
minkey
Grafter

They paid yougov to do it who in turn pay people to answer the survey.

I do a lot of paid surveys and I still get paid if I say nice things or not so nice things about a service or product. It wouldn't be a survey if they stopped it the moment you said something they didn't agree with.
Jeff
gswindale
Grafter

Service seems pretty reliable to me
What backups are you talking about - if it's your e-mail and website, then that's your responsibility not the ISP.
Why would I want an "out of office" on my home email?
Customer Service is actually pretty good most of the time (had a few problems a few months ago, but those were resolved relatively smoothly given the problems they were having staff wise due to floods).
Rapier

Quote from: Barry
customer service is terrible

I rarely have to contact Customer Support, but in the few chances I've had to I've been impressed with their speed and knowledge. 

I've had many occasions when I've had to contact customer Support. It was terrible but it's got worse since BT took over (don't get me started on their customer dis-service). I'm here now because I've been wating two weeks for a reply to my last message. That is about a refund promised but not issued over a year ago. The only reason I'm still using the service is because it's good, and the fact that all the mistakes of the ordering, support and transfer teams mean I've only paid about half the advertised amount over two years (because of repeated "goodwill gestures"). Whilst they're good at offering 'goodwill gestures' they seem ignorant of the law in the UK. I could take them to court but, frankly, this way I waste more of their time and money, and I'm still in the right.
Community Veteran

YouGov go to great lengths to ensure their surveys are as unbiased as possible.  I have completed many surveys for them , including the one asking about ISPs.
The survey asked me to select an ISP that I was pleased with and provided a list of about 25 to choose from. They then asked for an ISP I was unhappy with and the same list of ISPs were provided to select from.
This was just one of a number of questions dealing with lifestyle.
I have been with PN for about 3 months and in that time I have found them to be very good and my contacts with CS have been excellent. 
anmckendry

I cant respond to all of the comments. Surfice to say that just because they are better than some or that they are giving "goodwill" gestures is not good enough. Although I have never had a goodwill gesture!!!
There are basic things that need to be fixed! And whats worse they would actually save them money if they did them.
Projects are clearly badly spec'd and run - the critical path solution will not fix the issues. (please note that I do not think it is critical path's fault just a bad understanding of the issues by plusnet)
Unlike a couple of you that have posted the account I have with plusnet is a business account - the service hasnt changed much in the many years that I have been with them (force9 originally) in particular the main areas of concern are Email and customer service (limited service - see 1st post). I have similar accounts in 3 other european countries as well as a couple of more major accounts and whilst none are perfect - plusnet is by far the worst!
This years email fiascos never seem to stop and the dishonesty is the worst - If they know I am not getting my emails they should tell me, not wait for me to log onto the portal. Its gotten so bad that if I dont recieve emails for a couple of hours I assume that the servers are down AGAIN!!
Wishlist: (even if at extra cost)
Email servers fully resiliant (backed up)
Remote Sendmail - If it is true that Authenticated SMTP is coming thats great but they could offer this today as ltd service with Squirrel mail SSL is possible
MS Exchange
Escalation procedures in customer spt - If CSC dont know the answer pass back to plusnet to respond properly
Sack the marketing dept - dont tell people that are complaining that you are the best on the bottom of the reply to their complaint that they have waited up to 4 days for!!!
Better scripting or at least hosted scripts with SLA
Most of all if you are having a problem - particularly with email - TELL ME!!! & tell the people emailing me!!!! its not difficult. Dont wait for me to find out from someone trying to send me a mail that complains I havent responded so that I have to log onto the portal only to find out that you already know that your servers crashed and killed it.
I could go on but these basic things would be a start!!!
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Barry

Authenticated SMTP is coming.  However, it is a rare function that other ISPs provide.

This is the only thing that I miss from Pipex Internet as my outgoing mail server was set to smtpauth for several years.
There is, however, always gmail.
Community Veteran

I don't understand what you mean by resilient and backed-up email servers?  Plusnet run 18 inbound relay servers which I would consider to be fairly resilient.  The mail store platform is backed up.
Plusnet will never offer Microsoft Exchange hosting as it would be far too prohibitively expensive and unreliable. 
In all honesty, it seems to me that you're looking for a reliable hosted email solution.  I would not look to your ISP for this, but look to a specific email hosting provider.  At the end of the day you will get what you pay for in this respect.
Ultimately, I think your solution would be to run your own Exchange email server, using the Plusnet servers as secondary MX servers to store-and-forward mail if your Exchange server is offline.  Be prepared to pay for this though - I would expect a TCO to be in the region of around £10,000 over the lifetime of the server itself.
Alternatively, run your own Linux mail server.
B.
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Most of all if you are having a problem - particularly with email - TELL ME!!!

They won’t ring and actually tell you but if you go to here http://usertools.plus.net/status/email.php you can sign up for an automatic email to be sent either to your Plusnet address or to another address (such as hotmail or gmail) informing you of problems with the service. I find it very useful to monitor when things go wrong and when they are fixed.
Regards, P.