Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Benefits

Is the following statement correct .?
If you get the state pension which is classed as a benefit it is subject to tax .
All other types of benefits are not subject to tax ?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Benefits

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If your gross income is more than your personal allowance, you're liable to pay income tax on the amount that exceeds the personal allowance. Different rates of income tax apply depending on the type of income and how much it is. The State Pension is paid to you gross (before any tax is deducted).

The above quote is from a google search on the question.... "Is the state pension taxable"
www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I and my wife are now pensioners and we have to employ a firm of accountants to sort out our tax affairs  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyH
https://www.gov.uk/income-tax/overview
AndyH,
Thanks for the link which makes it clear there are a number of benefits subject to tax.
  Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: PeterLoftus
I and my wife are now pensioners and we have to employ a firm of accountants to sort out our tax affairs  Roll eyes
perhaps you should have asked HSBC they seem fairly skilled at reducing or eliminating the Tax of customers.
Smiley
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

not entirely though they seem to be more in the habit of just not informing various nations that customers have accounts with them
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Yes you have to declare pensions along with all your other forms of income to the tax man. After your allowances are deducted you pay tax on the balance.