cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Benefits

I Don't usually watch types of programs where the aim is just to wind viewers up by interviewing a small number of individuals who are fiddling the system and quite proud of doing so but one exception was the other night where some woman was going on about not working unless she got £500 a week,it wasn't that statement that bothered me much as it's not uncommon but what did bother me was that her daughter had managed to get a job paying £200 a week but the mother far from being pleased about this berated the daughter saying she was being exploited and no way would they get her to work for £200 a week.
If children or young adults are subject to this type of criticism rather than encouragement what chance do they stand, I Know this is contraversal  but some people are not fit to have children.
42 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Benefits

Didn`t see the prog, so don`t know the background of the mother... but would assume from your description that she is "non-skilled" and expects to earn £500 doing just about nothing... ? lets hope the daughter, earning her £200 does not lose her sense of pride.
Fixes: 104

not even a newly qualified teacher gets £500 a week
Will Moderate For Thanks
Thunderclap
Grafter

The equivalent wage for many claimants is £36,000 - yet the average national wage is £22,500. I believe benefits must be less than the national average wage -say £18,000 max, which is enough for most responsible families to get by on. Then claimants will view work as a way of earning stuff like flat screen TVs, computer games, sky sports, a new kitchen, finance on a car and, two months holiday in Magalout, rather than people in full time work, viewing work as the means to poverty.

Community Veteran

It all gets very confused by tax credits though, so not comparing eggs with eggs.  Wink
I guess this is the long-term aim of IDS etc. to try and "harmonise" it all.  Cool
nadger
Rising Star

Watched a few minutes of programme on CH5 and turned it off. Woman had 10 or 11 children probably all by different fathers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I see this thread becoming a heated one tbh.
I think anyone earning £500 a week these days is pretty unreal unless they're running some super huge company as a CEO. Thing is with many of those on benefits is because they don't get out much and meet people who are workers and those in management, many of them become dellusional about themselves and think that they're super capable of all sorts including CEO jobs. Many don't realise that they're actually right at the bottom job prospects wise and seem to hold on to some sort of home that a magic fairy will give them a super £mega paid job that will let them earn a fortune part time and stay at home during the other 4 days off with the xbox  Crazy
Few moons back I had a colleague who was a lazy ****. He was trying to sue a motorist for over £100k for a motoring accident that he claimed had screwed up his back and made it impossible to work etc. Granted he had spent time in hospital previously (A&E i think) but he was there at work, working though not doing a lot as he was pretty work shy. He had this grand dellusion that he was going to get this big compo payout and then become a property developer and make mega money. Unfortunately for him the other partys insurers weren't stupid and naturally wanted details of his new work, what it involved etc and a medical. No idea what happened at the medical as he turned pretty sheepish however he got himself into a spot of bother when it turned out they'd been into our workplace with a cctv camera and filmed him (and some of us without our consent) working. They'd got him doing all sorts of manual tasks, bending his crippled back etc and suddenly he found himself on a looser and getting signed off with depression  Roll eyes
I also had a parent who thought survival on benefits was their way of living yet they'd always be moaning about how unfair the system was, how little it left them to survive etc etc. The thought of working was not one that was entertained.. until they had a chance to work for themselves (funded by someone else of course). Then suddenly the health problems I had known for over 20 odd years that made my life very difficult just vanished. These same health problems had seen me dial 999 repeatedly every year, screwed up my education, my youth, my chances of making something of myself.. and as soon as someone offered them cash to setup their own business all those health issues vanished. The business failed (it got treated like a hobby) and then suddenly all the health problems returned again and suddenly I was back under the same old pressure again it was my fault that there were no books etc from the failed business so that they could get their benefits again. Like the woman you mention gleneagles, my parent didn't entertain the thought of working hard for someone else unless there was £Mega involved. I remember them once finding a job that paid over £30k advertised and suddenly they wanted to work.. 2 days after the closing date they were still working on the job application  Roll eyes
I honestly used to think that people who slated those on benefits were just dirt who didn't like their own kind but when I look back to my parents attitude I find myself having serious concerns. Health problems that came and went when convenient.. and it happened on so many occassions too yet I was blinded by manipulation.
What I have learned is that people will willingly work when they feel they have hope and a possible future. If they feel they don't, they give up and stop caring. At the moment the mega rich are on a crusade to make as much money as possible as they're scared of the recession, while paying as little as possible and this is having a very detrimental effect on the nations working attitude. If people can't see a way of having a half decent standard of living for their efforts then their attitude is to let the state keep them.
So yes there are a lot of those on benefits who can be blamed for their attitude but there are also a lot at the top who are leading by example. Ministers who milk the pot for every expense and freebie they can, family employed by them too, councillors who also end up getting foreign travel etc etc. They show themselves living the high life and then wonder why those at the bottom with no hope don't want to work for peanuts.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
I think anyone earning £500 a week these days is pretty unreal unless they're running some super huge company as a CEO.

£500 p/w is £26,071.50 per year (500 * 52.143), not insubstantial of course but less than I earn and I'm certainly no CEO or high flyer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

In fact when I was still working (about 10 years ago) virtually all our design engineers earned more than that
Community Veteran

See, there is the problem.
You're forgetting that there are millions of people being paid the minimum wage and you seem to think that the average wage is £26k for the low paid.
It isn't. There are many people stuck in customer service roles at supermarkets, call centres, door to door sales, taxi driving etc. People who never had chance to make something of their lives. You seem to forget they exist and just assume that £500 a week is easily earned. It isn't.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I agree you need to be in a decent job but this gives the overall picture http://career-advice.monster.co.uk/salary-benefits/pay-salary-advice/uk-average-salary-graphs/articl... and from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8151355.stm the median salary for full time employees is £25,123 (that is the salary where half have more than and half less than so it isn't affected by some really highly paid people) and that was in 2009
A more up to date one is http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20442666
The average annual earnings of full-time workers in the UK rose by 1.4% to £26,500 in the year to April 2012.
RichAllen
Grafter

I'm sorry but what the hell?! I have genuine disabilities and the government don't give me anywhere near that figure in benefits a month never mind a week.
Normally I detest people who complain about people on benefits as they're all clueless Daily Mail readers, but this case annoys me.
Community Veteran

I only know two people who earn that much. One is a lorry driver who has recently taken a £500 a month pay cut (so now doesn't earn that) and the other is a labourer on a rich mans building site where they're building him a new mansion.
Everyone else I know earns less than that including a mate of mine who is one of three directors of a company that is sought all over the world for its expertise.
I can honestly say, I don't believe it.
Community Veteran

I suspect geography is a significant factor, I note that in the later BBC reference the London averages were much higher than elsewhere.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
I think anyone earning £500 a week these days is pretty unreal unless they're running some super huge company as a CEO.

Utter rubbish.  £500 a week is not an exceptional salary.  I know many people doing average type jobs earning a lot more than this.
Drivers on the London Tube earn £45K per annum and they are not CEOs.