cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits legal warning to UK over cash for EU nationals

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Benefits legal warning to UK over cash for EU nationals

The European Commission has threatened legal action against the UK, saying a test of eligibility for benefits discriminates against foreigners.
The "right to reside" qualification for benefits is automatic for UK nationals but assessed for other EU nationals.
The commission said this breached EU law and gave the UK two months to say how it would bring its rules into line.
Employment Minister Chris Grayling said it was unacceptable "that we should open our doors to benefit tourism".
"It's obviously right that we support those who work and pay their taxes here, but it's clearly completely unacceptable that we should open our doors to benefit tourism,"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15120522
Angry  Sad  Angry  Sad  Angry  Shocked
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Benefits legal warning to UK over cash for EU nationals

So what the EU are effectively saying is that any EU national should be allowed to claim our benefits right? - Does that also mean that they can claim from their own home while living abroad? - I hope not. I've no problem with them claiming if they live here (everyone should be entitled to help when they're in the sh!t) but I hope they're not suggesting the door should be opened for those who live in their own countries.
If they are then this country is lost and we need to get out of the EU.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I think we should up-sticks and decant into European countries and claim as much as we can on their benefits systems, and see how they like it...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 104

They probably aren't as soft, for instance I understand in Holland teenage mothers are faced with a choice of living with parents or in a hostel.
No free house etc for them.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Petlew
I think we should up-sticks and decant into European countries and claim as much as we can on their benefits systems, and see how they like it...

I don't think they really have any and thats why they all love ours so much.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

As Sprite says...... 
Why do you think so many people go to Calais, hoping to stow away on a lorry to get into the UK.... If France had the same benefit system that we do.... they would stay there... why? Better weather and better climate in general... plus... they don`t have to stow away in a lorry and get sent back home.. when caught ! Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It is time to have some dense fog in the English Channel to ensure that the European continent is isolated from civilisation.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

That would require a special EU resolution !...
Erm.... oh yes,... it will get passed .... cos that is all the EU commissioners do....... Generate loads of FOG  ..... (Flippin`  `Orrible Generalisations) that governments have to abide by... Roll eyes