cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits increase by 5.2%

annerimmington
Grafter

Benefits increase by 5.2%

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2105446/MPs-agree-5-2-increase-benefits-protect-claimants-co...
.............yet millions of public sector workers will see their pay frozen again.  "Ministers said benefit claimants will get an inflation-busting increase to protect them against ‘cost of living increases"      So by their logic, cost of living increases don`t affect public sector workers ?  Roll eyes

18 REPLIES
Fixes: 102

Re: Benefits increase by 5.2%

don't forget the private sector workers that have had their pay frozen for some time too.
Will Moderate For Thanks
annerimmington
Grafter

Absolutely.  Private and public sector wages frozen.    Maybe a life on benefits will soon by the option if annual increases of over 5% are the norm Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think the amount of benefit increase, is decided on the state of the nation and inflation during August, the previous year to the next budget.... i.e.  this years budget in April, needs a figure to work on, which is decided on during August last year....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Indexed increases in public sector pensions are not frozen.
Fixes: 123

One thing to remember for those who, by no choice of their own, are on benefits is that they do not have the chance to increase their income through overtime or bonuses.
It's about time a complete overhaul was made so that the benefit system only 'benefits' those who genuinely require it rather than making it a lifestyle choice.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Pro

Am I on a different planet or Is the benefit system already being overhauled?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Mav
It's about time a complete overhaul was made so that the benefit system only 'benefits' those who genuinely require it rather than making it a lifestyle choice.

That was the whole idea if the welfare system when it was first introduced, why did it go so wrong?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
itsme
Grafter

Sorry but living on £64.30 to me is not a lifestyle choice. Try living on this sum to feed and pay the utility bills.

I agree as those who genuinely need the support often don't get anywhere near as much as those who know how to abuse the system.
@Steve M We're on the same planet I just meant that the overhaul should make it easier for those who geniunly require the system's support to get it and those who have abused it to be forced to pay it ALL back.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

itsme
Grafter

I don't believe that many unemployed people claiming Job Seekers Allowance will be abusing the system as they are subjected to fortnightly face to face meetings. Unlike some of the other benefits that are only accessed at point of claim.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav

I think the overhaul is now taking place but it should have been done years ago. 
I also agree with your earlier comment Mav that to some people a life on benefits is a lifestyle choice.  We now have 3rd generation families where nobody has ever worked. This is a disgrace.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd love to know what benefits some people are on then.  I know plenty who certainly don't attend fortnightly meetings and who seem to have a lot more than £64.30 a week to manage on (several that I know must spend close to that on cigarrettes alone!).  Possibly some are on 'incapacity' or similar (even though there's nothing tangible wrong with any that I know).
I agree that the genuine claimants seem to have to exist on a pitiful amount and are required to jump through hoops for it but I know so many who seem to live a comfortable life without such difficulties (I'm talking friends / distant relatives who have not worked in a good 10 years and make it quite celar that they don't want to work), there almost seem to be 'proffessionals'  or  'experts' at being unemployed who know all the twists and turns to maximise their income.
I get fed up or hearing 'it's not worth getting up for that amount' when these types are told about jobs being advertised.
We're told that the overhaul is going through but how long does it need to take and why do so many detractors try to block it!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.

Quote from: walker23
We're told that the overhaul is going through but how long does it need to take and why do so many detractors try to block it!

Well, we mustn't infringe the human rights of career scroungers Roll eyes
It seems so easy these days to get a 'sick note' from a GP for what appears the most frivalous of illnesses which is deemed acceptable by the DWP.
As with most things, when the overhaul is complete it will still be the genuine claimants left to jump through hoops and even give up any thoughts of applying because of it. The remainder will find some loophole to exploit and it will all continue once again as it is now Angry

annerimmington
Grafter

I know for a fact one of my neighbours- a plasterer -  is on incapacity benefit because of an - allegedly - bad back.    Last week he plastered my neighbour`s ceiling......hmmm Roll eyes     I`m sure he`s not alone in abusing the sytem  Angry
I assume the 5.2% benefits increase also applies to pensions ?    I`m happy with that - it will still make our pensions below those of the rest of the EU.  Most pensioners have paid taxes all their working lives and deserve a decent pension, unlike a lot of benefit recipients who have never contributed to the Inland Revenue  Roll eyes