Rising Star

Benefits Denied

I was really disgusted when I saw this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-12206652
This is taking getting people back to work to the levels of insanity  Angry
24 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Benefits Denied

This is really strange because I would have thought that with this condition he would be receiving DLA.  If he is, then he will have been assessed and passed the criteria so it all seems a bit incongruous to me.  Spare a thought for the staff who have to plough through so many documents and also cope with frequent new rules that the governments constantly throw at them.
Hopefully a genuine mistake has been made and the gentleman in question will receive his benefit.
The other thing to remember is that not all cancer sufferers claim incapacity benefit.  My friend's son has been ill with cancer for the past 2-3 years and is now in the advanced stage.  He is still working and wishes to continue as long as possible because he cannot stand the thought of sitting at home and dwelling on his illness.  He takes the view that he is living with cancer, not dying from it.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that Gent was on BBC East last night
nadger
Rising Star

I've no doubts that this chap will get his benefits reinstated on appeal but, at 63 with what appears to be terminal cancer, he should never have been put in this situation. Thankfully the CAB are involved and are pretty good at sorting out these cases.
I do realise that there's a lot of paperwork involved with DLA and incap claims - my daughter  received CAB training and had dealt with a few cases.
I can fully understand how someone wants to continue leading as normal life as possible until that's no longer possible and " living with" is a good positive attitude to have.
The problem with many cancers is that there are no obvious symptoms until it's too late for effective treatment. Hopefully all the government " chat" about better screening, and early diagnosis, will come to fruition as UK survival rates are not the best.
Community Veteran

It's a sad case and one that needs urgent attention.  I hope he has also contacted his MP to get him involved in his case.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Another case of beurocracy gone mad isn't it. People following rules in black and white instead of using what we once knew as common sense.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
thisoldman
Grafter

for once  bless me  i totally agree with nadger     
if he had been an albanian immigrant he would have got thousands

randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: thisoldman
if he had been an albanian immigrant he would have got thousands

Huhmore  thisoldman gibberish?Huh
thisoldman
Grafter

lol@rand

there are thousands of immigrants living in large detached houses in london free and getting thousands in benefits
you really need to keep up todate dear Grin
randpwar
Grafter

Yep, don’t doubt it. But let’s not turn attention away from the highlighted case eh?  Smiley
By all means start another thread bemoaning the ‘fairness’ of benefit entitlement. I think your only problem would be ‘preaching to the converted’ as I reckon most will view it as in need of a review 
thisoldman
Grafter

i agree rand  what nadger posted is a sad indictment of the uk and in my view fully justifies the posts i made ages ago under the heading  what a stupid copuntry we are living in.

incidentally if i may add without detracting from nadgers excellent post, several influential tts  are suggesting that the planned nhs reforms will make matters worse for allof us
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Thats not all the Con Dems in Suffolk are doing 
http://www.suffolkroadsafe.net/suffolksafecam/news.php?article_id=161
Why is there a proposal to cease funding the School Crossing Patrol service in the 2011/12 budget?
Suffolk County Council is in the process of reviewing what services it should provide in the future and what services should best revert to the community, in the light of reduced resources available in the public sector. We believe that it is primarily the responsibility of parents and carers to ensure that their children travel to and from school safely.
thisoldman
Grafter

what has that to do with the nhs pierre
pierre_pierre
Grafter

same county funds and this is the Chit Chat forum
and is the DLA a NHS fund?
randpwar
Grafter

Sorry Pierre but School Crossing is supplied by the County Council (in the case that you mention Suffolk) whereas people get access to the NHS from thier local NHS Foundation Trust. I suppose you could argue that it all comes out of one central Government 'grants' pot but essentialy they are separate