Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits Cap plan

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Benefits Cap plan

The Benefits Cap Plan starts new limits today:

£20,000 for couples and families (£23,000 in London).

£13,400 for single people, no klds (£15410 in London).

While this deals with the issue of large families where the parents have no intention of working, I can see it is going to be very tough for many others. Perhaps it will keep rents down longer term, but there will be a lot of evictions until the markets adjust. I suppose the Gov't has to do something to reduce borrowings for its expenditure.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Benefits Cap plan

£13.4k lucky so-and-sos, don't think I've reached even half that, not even back when I was working!! Crazy2

2u2me
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Still not bad though,still needs a huge shake up, thought it was brought in to help in the short term, now seems easily abused. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

2cv you've been working the wrong jobs mate.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Depends when  was working. £13k pa would have been about the average wage in 1990 for example.

Groan time alert: My first wage packet? £4.2s.6d Smiley 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Fixes: 102

I wish.

My first wage was £3 10s, a bit rubbish considering I received £1 1s for my paper round.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

Community Veteran

£23k in London - I wonder how much you would suggest it should be.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

God what I could do with £20K!
I am unemployed, my wife works part time, our total income is <£7K/year. Benefits don't qualify for any other than council tax benefit.

Round here £15k is a GOOD wage.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

In one of my former jobs I was on £19k (before overtime) and the job before that £17.5k but my health completely screwed me over and the lack of assistance to sort it made my life become a very dark and isloated place. Both bosses made life a relentless hell and I was shoved towards the door - disability protection doesn't exist in real world terms.

Jobs out there do exist that pay decent money but you have to look at some pretty unpopular jobs to earn it. I won't say what my jobs were but they were jobs that most people would never consider - usually because they have high standards and bank of mum and dad to back them up. I had no family to provide security and so I couldn't be fussy - I went for whatever paid the money that I needed to survive (yet @artmo will claim I think the world owes me one). On one job application I was so desperate for the job (yet had so little going for me compared to other applicants) I pointed out that I could read and write and knew the alphabet - no joke! It must have done something for me cos I got the job (and I only got the idea from a colleague at a previous job messing around putting in a fake application for a casual job lol). I later found out that they had decided to take me before they interviewed me due to a previous job on my CV.

I've also looked at working in a funeral parlour too but due to job security (I kid you not, that was the reply from each one) they have a very low staff turnover and thus no vacancies.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Here in Essex our local authority is always advertising for manual workers and the Royal Mail is always looking for posties.