cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefit cuts 'miss savings target '

Steve
Pro

Benefit cuts 'miss savings target '

And that after a radical shake up. This wont do George what more can you do to punish those on benefits I wonder?
The Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) said welfare spending this year will be just £2.5 billion lower in real terms than it was at the start of the parliament in 2010-11 - compared to forecast savings of £19 billion.
The findings come as a further headache for Chancellor George Osborne as he prepares to deliver next month's Autumn Statement amid fears the worsening international economic outlook will add to the strain on Britain's beleaguered public finances.

more here
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Benefit cuts 'miss savings target '

He'll just have to cut some more stuff for the poor won't he and give the rich a few more perks. That really is the only way he can solve it - make sure the rich are as well off as possible.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

the cost of welfare payments wont decrease whilst they still have uncontrolled immigration, every day there are thousands of people arriving in the UK who sign up for welfare increasing the bill far more than they subtract from it, a recent report indicating the EU immigrants put more into the coffers was debunked by there own figures which they admitted were artificially manipulated to show the EU migrants as being positive instead of the true negative that every newcomer makes, the IFS has proven itself to be a complete joke with frequent reports detailing that far from the claimed headline's the reality is always different as they "ignored those figures" to get a beneficial report for the labour party who commissioned the study ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Oh dear nanotm... you're clearly not with it again today  Roll eyes
You're confusing immigration and asylum.
EU immigration is out of control yes however those migrants typically end up working and contributing. Rightly or wrongly they come here, take jobs (usually the lower paid ones but they work every hour god sends to survive or share a room etc etc) and work. They then get a national insurance number and pay taxes like everyone else.
It's the non-EU immigrants such as asylum seekers that do not have a right to work here that come here, claim benefits, accomodation etc that you are thinking of. These people are out of control (we've all seen the countless stories about how the french hanle it). They come here, can't work (unless its black market work), claim benefits and then swell the welfare budget.
Do you understand that nano?
nanotm
Pro

both sets claim benefits, the low paid 15 hour a day EU migrants get tax credits, and child benefit for the family they left at home, sure they work and pay tax but from day 1 of getting that NI number there claiming, the only people who this doesn't apply to are the 1 in 20,000 who are earning more than 29k a year, the remainder claim like its going out of fashion, and half the time they multi occupy a property whilst they all wait for their own place to be provided with housing benefit as individually they don't make enough to be liable for paying the rent .....

asylum seekers are a different matter, the true ones actually need a lot of help and support and rightly they get it, however there are also thousands of non asylum seeker non EU imigrants popping up daily who come here start work (legally) and then a few months down the road quit that low paid job and start claiming everything they can .....
either way its increasing the benefit bill by millions every month and until proper boarder protection is in place that is never going to change, strangely enough the word "welfare" is being used as an increasingly all encompassing definition of what is actually several different things, the OAP is paid through the DWP so is called welfare, tax credits are called welfare but come from HMT, child benefit comes from a separate office again but is called welfare, housing and council tax benefit are paid out of local council funds but are called welfare, jsa/esa/pip/dla/iib/etc are all paid by the DWP and are called welfare, tax credit exemtion cards are called welfare, all of thease things comes from a specific budget some of them truly are welfare but when calculating things they all get lumped into the mix yet a proper report splits them all up, indeed social services (adult and child) are actually welfare as are all those residential care centers yet they get called NHS underfunding when they are overaccessed by large majorities of EU migrants who for the first time actually can access medical care and take full advantage of it.
the reports totally ignore a lot of what is "welfare" and prefer to include big budget items that are low wage inflation mitigation items, given the rate of inflation for the last 20 years the minimum wage should be closer to £40/h but since tax credits take up the slack as do other "in work benefits" wages were not increased and minimum wage levels were set artificially low
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I know a great way to save money on benefits, go to a pre-thatcher method of people in work pay the rates, and people who genuinely need to have benefits being exempt (I.E. not lying, thieving scum like my nextdoor-but-one neighbours who could work but instead sit there smoking dope all frickin' day long taking money out of the system built for people who genuinely need the money) from paying rates, but noooooo, the conservatives wouldn't ever think of doing that, after all, it was thatcher who made EVERYONE pay Poll Tax, regardless of it being a paying them to pay you to pay them to pay you screwup, resulting in millions of squids a year being piddled away on debt collection for those who should be exempt.... Roll eyes
(yeah, bitterness on my part caused by a council tax bill that was "sorted" 6 years ago for me, but has reappeared for some "not in our records" reason that reappeared yesterday...)
nanotm
Pro

you mean the changes to the system that they are apparently brining in under PIP wherby being an addict obese or any number of otherwise self indulgence based inability to work no longer qualifying you for more than £37 a week in benefits ?
the ones that have been blocked at every turn by the liberals and labour who are desperate for the masses to be illiterate state dependant morons....
I agree poll tax was a dumber than dumb idea and rates were better but aside from the random changes to council tax banding being applied as they council see fit (despite your house still being occupied by you) the current system works well for the majority (although the minority get off lightly) the proposed changes to it by the labour party are far worse....
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
both sets claim benefits

Where is your evidence?
For someone who is apparently so intelligent and apparently knows everything, how is it that you cannot write a simple sentence properly?
If you can't write properly, how can you read and understand what you've read or learn from it properly?
To put it blunlty nano, you seem to post a lot of your theories but from what i can work out, they are just that - your theories.
nanotm
Pro

fortunately indications of intellect are not based on the ability to produce written English to the standards required to attain a degree in the subject, plenty of intelligent people have little or no ability in such matters.
as to the rest your entitled to your delusions,
as for the benefits thing, if you want the evidence you can get the info quite easily, just ask a few of them or indeed watch some of those great channel 5 evening shows about such people although they only feature a limited number of such individuals
Community Veteran

fortunately indications of intellect are not based on the ability to produce written English to the standards required to attain a degree in the subject, plenty of intelligent people have little or no ability in such matters.

True (see when you're right I will agree) however most of these people will at least provide some sort of evidence every once in a while to back themselves up.
as to the rest your entitled to your delusions,

The only one around here who claims to know everything is you and you're the one who is never able to prove anything.
as for the benefits thing, if you want the evidence you can get the info quite easily, just ask a few of them or indeed watch some of those great channel 5 evening shows about such people although they only feature a limited number of such individuals

You're basing your post bashing EU benefits claims on a C6 TV show or two? Ridiculous. You do realise that they make these shows as dramatic as possible to entice viewers and thus increase advertising revenue?
Don't get me wrong nano, as people go I've never seen you deliberately try to cause trouble or insult anyone and I do believe that you are of genuinely sincere character but some of the stuff you post is beyond belief.
nanotm
Pro

no i base my assertions vis a vis the cash outflow being higher than the cash inflow with mass immigration of EU nationals on the fact the majority are net detractors, the IFS study into the economics actually ignored all immigrants/migrants who were in work but earning under 20k on the grounds they were receiving an average of 20k a year in state aid through the welfare system.
only people who earn more than 28k per year contribute more to the nations economy than they draw out (that's a fact published by the IFS the OBR and the NAO) and its true across all demographics of nationalities living within the UK apart from Scotland where they require to earn 30k for it to apply,
everyone who is entitled to receive welfare based income is an idiot if they don't claim it, and one thing you can always say about immigrant/migrant workers is they aren't idiots
my intent in pointing out the TV shows on C5  was merle to point out they give some limited examples of people who represent the demographic of EU immigrant/migrant who comes here and either resettles with their family or overloads a house with the intent to get rehomed whilst sending bucket loads of cash home.
for instance if you get a job that pays an annual salary of 10k (or under) your employer is exempted from the minimum wage restrictions, you however as a worker are entitled to claim all sorts of benefits averaging around 10k a year  (more if you have dependant children), if your job is reduced to part time after the first few months you then click for extra benefits including reductions to charges for utility bills (if your unaware of this then you should probably contact your service providers to find out if your eligible)
this isn't wild speculation or supposition its fact, the evidence can be found anecdotally by watching fly on the wall tv shows but more importantly it can be found simply by asking the immigrants themselves, many of them are happy to explain the situation and will go into detail about how they or there friends deliberately underbid for jobs in menial positions on salary basis just so they can qualify for the extra help, and many employers are only too happy to take them on because there immigrants and not entitled to enter the company pension scheme (unless they are a multinational company or the person gets naturalised)
its a nasty situation for everyone concerned, and its worse for the indigenous population because the majority of us are unable to do what they do, a problem that has arisen that puts greater strain on all manner of local services and has vastly increased the welfare budget without adding anything to the nation as a whole other than a lot of narrow-minded bigots finding there voice is heard by a lot of unhappy people in alarming numbers, both the BNP and UKIP have done very well out of this crisis and providing they both continue to be heard nothing can change (especially as UKIP are more scared of loosing the EUP gravy train than anything else (like far too many who claim to be working for t he benefit of the many they are in fact only looking after themselves and work tirelessly to ensure a steady stream of outrage is generated to keep themselves at the trough)
I'm not demented enough to believe anyone else isn't in it for themselves but it does seem like a lot of other nations have woken up to the problems being caused by the Schengen agreement so perhaps some change will be undertaken to stem the tide but not if labour or ukip jhave anything to do with it, there more keen on pointing out how various initiatives don't work and claiming there are "real terms" deficits to everything

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Gordon Bennet !.... this is getting worse than PMQ`s or Today in Parliament.... where the two opposing sides try to outbluster each other to prove their point  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I'm going to do something I never thought I would lower myself to....
nanotm.. you are without a doubt 100% correct in your head and i was completely wrong about it all.
I have no idea what i was talking about and as we've now drawn our final conclusion you no longer need to post any further ramblings.
Have a nice evening.  Roll eyes
launton
Grafter

I work in welfare and here's a few facts for you all.
1. The media takes maximum shock values and minimum care when reporting sensationalist people.  It makes £££££'s
2. Migrants supplement the economy. 
3. The majority of illegal immigrants in the UK are Chinese.
4. No-one can steal a job from anyone, it takes the employer to choose.
5. Benefit fraud accounts for 0.3% of the bill.
6. Pensions take almost 50% of the bill
7. The majority of benefits are claimed by people IN WORK and contributing to society.
8. All workers are only a redundancy away from benefits and ridicule.
We can't say 'You can't come in" but we're all still allowed to come into your country when we see fit.  What will the 5 million ex pats who live abroad say when those countries return the favour?
The reason everyone is angry here is because we're all poorer under this government, whether in employment, out of employment or of pension age.  The only way to turn the tables is tax the rich, but as the corruption is prevalent in politics it's a difficult if not impossible road to travel.
nanotm
Pro

if you announce that your going to "tax the rich" the majority of them shut up shop and disappear overseas taking with them any business they own and devaluing any assets they might of held in the process, scare even 25% of them away and your actually worse off than with current tax standing.
the problem regardless of the ethnicity is actually about the ability to claim benefits, no other country has an open hand policy and it needs rewriting to stop the problem from continuing in its current state of geometric expansion year on year, especially as plenty bring in their OAP relatives to claim our state pension despite having never made a penny of contribution off the back of there being "economically beneficial immigrants" like the 4 eastern European grandmothers who arrived off the buss and walked into my local council office a few weeks back and are now happily housed in an OAP assisted living facility and in receipt of the state pension.....