cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefit claiments being made to work.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Benefit claiments being made to work.

The Conservative Party are intending to stop benefits to the long term jobless unless they work part time doing a variety of jobs such as picking up litter, removing graffiti, etc.
Would you agree that this is a fair policy ?
Could it lead to additional problems ? ie more people turning to theft if they cannot get benefits as they are unwilling to undertake menial work.
147 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Benefit claiments being made to work.

There are quite a few more "benefits" that are dependent on the claimant being in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance.... if they decide they are not going to do the work suggested, and they lose the JSA, they will also lose other benefits, which would be far more "hurtful" to them than a loss of "pride" for doing "menial" jobs....
On the subject of people doing "menial jobs" when was the last time you actually said " Thank you" to a litter picker in your town/supermarket car park?  I do it quite often,.... they look a bit surprised, but I bet it gives them a bit more "self respect" knowing someone has appreciated their worth...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well since I don't bother to sign on any more as they stopped actually paying me anything several years ago, and I/we can't get JSA as SHMBO earns a massive £500/month where is the incentive for me to walk the streets?  Tongue
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Equally some might think you are being sarcastic or taking the p***
NB. This reply to Shutter not HB
Community Veteran

What I have said is 100% the TRUTH.  Shocked
We don't get any benefits apart from council tax. No freebies or social workers either since we don't have kids.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Trouble is that it will put others out of work.
Remember the work placements thing a while back that Tesco and other large companies took part in? - Tesco started axing staff hours because they could effectively get free slave labour instead. There were stories about people loosing overtime too which in this day and age can make the difference between survival and loosing a home. Of course Cameron called the objection of this "Anti business snobbery". Businesses don't need to breathe, eat, drink, stay warm, sleep and have a roof over their heads yet Cameron treats them as if they have more rights than immigrants.
It's all very well demanding jobseekers do something to help the community it really is. I do agree that they can help but help where it is NEEDED instead. Things that the council can't afford to do for instance. Maybe help build a new road (oh hang on, training, H&S, legal issues..), build a new school extension (oh hang on, training, H&S, legal issues..), install new activities at the local childrens playground (oh hang on.. training, H&S, legal issues..) or maybe even helping in the war against potholes where they're always struggling.. (oh hang on a minute... training, H&S and other legal issues...).
In effect the state does not actually want help from those that would be willing to give it to a genuine cause. Instead they want to help their business chums even if it means putting more people out of work to do it. While we're at it, lets abolish the anti-slavery laws too.
The thing is, us Brits are a decent bunch. We do have a huge sense of right and wrong and most of us (ok there will always be the lazy exceptions) would want to help to make a genuine difference in our community if possible if given the opportunity. Unfortunately these days that means working for free for a large company that makes £millions in profits every year that has no intention of giving you a job anyway. Add to that the legalities of being untrained for anything physical such as repairing potholes and it means that we've all had our hands tied behind our backs when it comes to making a difference and doing something genuine.
So, do I agree with the conservatives? No. Not when it comes to giving tax dodging £mega profit making companies an even easier time while those of us at the bottom are expected to work harder and longer to pay for it. No I damn well don't agree with it. I DO agree with helping with community based projects that the councils or charities can't afford to pay for - even if it's just cutting down the nettles and keeping a footpath clear behind a row of houses - something that most councils only do once a year.
The conservatives are right in that people need to get off their lazy backsides and do something to contribute, yes in that respect they are right but the way they are going about it supporting the tax dodging big businesses is completely wrong.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I'd get more on JSA than being self employed at the moment but things should pick up again in a few months and I'm needed more at home (as a househusband / carer) than at a job.
If I was claiming JSA / Benefits, I'd be more than happy to go out for the equivalent of minimum wage every week to do my bit.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: gleneagles
Equally some might think you are being sarcastic or taking the p***
NB. This reply to Shutter not HB

N o... I have never had that ..... my Thank you has always been Well Received... As I don`t just walk by and say Thanks..... I do make a point of speaking to them, as a part of conversation....
I really do feel that people who do "look after" the cleanliness of places should be more appreciated, and I say so.....
After all, if you go into a restaurant and enjoy the cook`s efforts.... you might just possibly think.... that guy worked hard in a hot steamy environment to provide me with a very nice meal that I enjoyed so I will "send my compliments to the chef".... what is the difference in appreciating someone who cleans up after some morons chuck their litter everywhere ?
JamesM
Grafter

I am a dry liner by trade and pre 2008 business was booming. In Sheffield for example, I did 2 buildings on West Street, student accommodation on London Road, the apartments that run alongside the tram lines as you turn north off city road, most of the business units near Sheffield airport, and the two units south of meadowhall as you go under the railway lines to name a few. Then the government cut the funding and all the new builds dried up. I ended up in Manchester working on 20 storey apartments. Again because of the government we turned up for work and they had shut the site due to running out of money.
I decided to take a year off to concentrate on my photography, then I was offered a job back dry lining, but because the government had cut all spending, all that was left was companies buying old mills and renovating them for call centres, and because of the influx of immigrants who work cheaply, the rates had been cut.
I needed another CSCS card to start back dry lining, so I phoned up the CSCS place and explained I am a dry liner and let my previous card expire, to which I was told I couldn't have another dry lining CSCS card without training for it and then it would be a 5 year card. I said I am a dry liner by trade, didn't matter I had to take a training course. So I spent 3 days phoning up various places, even universities to try and find a dry lining course to no avail. In the end I phoned the CSCS place back and said just give me a labourers card, at least then I could get on site and start earning some money. I was asked which kind of card I had previously, I said dry liner fixer and finisher, they said you can't have one of those but you can have a dry liner fixer card. I couldn't believe my ears. The rules this government has put in just to squeeze extra money out of honest workers.
What a complete and utter farce this country has become, Immigrants taking our jobs, working for less money which brings our wages down. I remember seeing a program on TV about a gang of British workers against a gang of Eastern European workers and the Eastern European workers were said to work better. Well in my experience I have lost count of the number of times we have had to go onto a site and finish off the Eastern European workers work because it is not up to scratch.
So in short, stop the immigrants and the penny pinching and there will be more jobs for British people.

even if it's just cutting down the nettles and keeping a footpath clear behind a row of houses - something that most councils only do once a year.

Unfortunately people end up being summonsed by the council for trying to make their neighbourhoods look half decent.  What a crazy [Censored] up country we live in.
Devonian
Grafter

I do agree with the jobless that are fit for work taking part in some kind of work, but litter picking and cleaning graffiti?  That sounds more like a punishment for being unemployed than anything else.
That should be undertaken by those on probation, not by those who have had a spell of bad luck.
If the Government pulled there heads out the sand and addressed the real issues, the cost of immigration on the treasury, and instead of wasting billions on foreigners and looking after our own, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Community Veteran

True the ones on community service should be the ones doing the hard labour, but the sad fact is that there is NO money to pay even a minimum wage for the unemployed to do this. They would want it done for what ever the standard payout was. And as I said I was getting £0.00 so no way would I work 30+ hours a week for nowt.
shalom2010
Grafter

This issue has been around for the last twenty years (at least) - I've not seen a government that has the *will* to actually do anything. I think it's all words.
I'll eat my hat if anything is done (if I was wearing one!).
Oh, I'm not unemployed, I'm retired, from the civil service, now doing voluntary work....by choice.
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: gleneagles
The Conservative Party are intending to stop benefits to the long term jobless unless they work part time doing a variety of jobs such as picking up litter, removing graffiti, etc.
Would you agree that this is a fair policy ?
Could it lead to additional problems ? ie more people turning to theft if they cannot get benefits as they are unwilling to undertake menial work.

Its a great idea Smiley
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Devonian
Grafter

If implemented properly, then yes I agree, it's a great idea.
But forcing a car mechanic, or a chef to go litter picking... how on earth would that help them back into the trade of their choice and heart?
Doing a few hours a day in their trade of choice will keep them trained, up to date, and provide references, which is surely much better than just saying 'go clean the streets' which is what the criminals should be FORCED to do?
Surely making demands such as that actually takes job seekers away from job seeking?
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I hope that Union rates will be paid for this labour?