cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefit Culture

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Benefit Culture

Well they had to deal with the fuel issue when that exceeded 100k didn't they. They were not happy about it but they had to do it otherwise there would have been a revolt.
With so many people facing benefits slashes while the rich are getting tax cuts, I don't see it taking long to get 100k signatures on the direct.gov website.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

This has already been discussed in Parliament.
Community Veteran

Yeah of course it has.. and what they discussed was their POV only. They don't care about the little people and never have.
This BS about making working people better off is a load of crap artmo. Do you not see this? - They're not going to lower your tax or cut VAT or lower your road tax etc. Sure the working man will be better off than those on benefits but not actually better off.
Community Veteran

I listened to a debate in parliament and all points of view were expressed.  Did you listen in?
As for tax reduction, this month over a million extra people will be taken out of tax altogether as a result of the raising of the tax free allowances. The new level has been increased to around 10k.
Devonian
Grafter

it now has 282,820 supporters!

It was 293,129 when I signed!
jim:green quote fixed mod:end
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I listened to a debate in parliament and all points of view were expressed.  Did you listen in?

No I didn't however I was not aware that the public had called a publc debate in parliament about scrapping these cuts / punishments and the effects on the poor of imposing them.
What I think you're talking about is a general every day type debate and NOT one called for by the public.
As for tax reduction, this month over a million extra people will be taken out of tax altogether as a result of the raising of the tax free allowances. The new level has been increased to around 10k.

Yes but the NMW isn't actually a living wage artmo. You talk like its going to make a massive difference when the reality is, the rich (aka peoplelike you jetting off to the states every few months then insisting the poor are punished more) will make more out of their tax cuts than the poor will make from their personal allowance increase.
Sorry artmo, you're in the upper middle class and therefore you can't see this from the other side of the fence. You well off folks are always down on those in the deep stuff.
Bet you won't even send me a postcard either.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Please could you explain how people already below the tax threshold will benefit from this increase?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nadger
Rising Star

Obviously people who don't pay income tax won't benefit but many people will.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

So sod the very poorest - as long as some of the slightly better off benefit it's OK. That's nice!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nadger
Rising Star

I won't benefit but doesn't mean that I begrudge those who will.
Devonian
Grafter

What I begrudge is the millionaires and multi million companies getting richer, whilst the poorest get poorer.
I am self employed, I work 80+ hours a week, I don't get holidays, I pay a small fortune in fuel duty, income tax etc, yet I take home in real terms, peanuts.
The likes of Amazon hardly pay a penny and they make profit hand over fist.
The millionaires with their holiday homes around here, paying half rate council tax, low rate water, tax breaks etc... how is that fair?
I know people that work 70 hours a week, and take home less than what they could have through the benefit system.
The priorities are all wrong.
Community Veteran

The thing is though, people in politics are usually business people or those with connections to the rich.
They're not going to hunt down their own money when they can knowingly get the poor to pay for it. Even the opposition who argue that the rich should pay more tax will eventually come to power (as is traditionally the case) and then they'll do the very same thing themselves.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Devonian
The likes of Amazon hardly pay a penny and they make profit hand over fist.

And thats what you need to do - spend as much money as possible on other things that the taxman will write off.
I've known a few people in business and they're all the same.. play the taxman at the expenses game and pay as little as possible. Thats the way the big companies get big and thats how you need to operate if you want a better life.
Not right is it.. but it's legal.
Devonian
Grafter

My problem is I believe in the rule of law.  I believe in paying my way, at least then I can have my say and know I have earned the right. Smiley
Community Veteran

Fair point Devonian. There are many more people like you thankfully.
There is no easy solution to the lack of taxes paid by the likes of Starbucks and Amazon. There is no solution that the UK can take on its own.  Governments are collectively looking into this problem to find a solution.
I'm in the US at present and the same problem occurs here with some international companies who operate out of off-shore companies.