cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefit Culture

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Benefit Culture

Careful HP, you'll be feeling artmos wrath soon Wink You never argue with he who is always right about everything (especially when it comes to slagging off the lower classes).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

Time for thread to be locked as getting too personal methinks.
Community Veteran

I agree. A couple of things I've said have been twisted and apparently I've named specific medical procedures too. Oh and the elderly are supporting me (even though I have received nothing from the state) and when these points are raised, all are ignored  Angry
Devonian
Grafter

Just to add to this..
My mother, who has always worked full time, even when she had 3 kids to raise, was struck with a muscle wasting illness 4 years ago.
It affects her back and legs, and is currently virtually housebound.
Some days she can't even get out of bed.
My brother and I care for her, taking it in turns to visit her daily.
She is currently in receipt of Incapacity Benefit.
She applied (via me and my brother) to get disability benefit, and they said she isn't disabled enough... but the hook had terrorist is of course, and way, my Mother, who is a widower, and lives alone, who is housebound most of the time, was ordered to attend a medical for the Benefits Agency.
They expect her to travel 30miles each way on public transport.
They have a letter from the hospital on file stating she is housebound, I and my brother have both contacted them requesting a home visit.
The benefit agency have refused and stopped her money.
So are these figures fair and justified?
No bloody chance.
If it wasn't for me and my brother, Mum would freeze and starve.
I keep telling her to take up a drug habit, they would bend over backwards to look after Mum then.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Devonian
I and my brother have both contacted them requesting a home visit.
The benefit agency have refused and stopped her money.
So are these figures fair and justified?

No and as I said, the DWP play games with stats anyway. There are some around here however who are trying to stir up a witch hunt against those who are in the deep stuff - presumably because they feel that those with money need it more than those with little of it.
nadger
Rising Star

@Devonian - at least they found an effective way of stopping " the hook" getting benefits  Smiley
From what one reads the firm carrying out assessments doesn't seem fit for purpose.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
From what one reads the firm carrying out assessments doesn't seem fit for purpose.

Depends which side of the fence you are on. If you're on the governments side of it then that firm is very fit for purpose.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Let's just face facts:
For decades the Tory party has wanted to slash all welfare payments so that their rich buddies can pay less tax and get even richer. The mess left behind by the banking crash gave them the perfect excuse to do what they've always wanted and blame it all on the last Labour government.
What Sprite and Devonian and millions of others are seeing is the result of a totally immoral party getting in to power.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

But what about the Labour Party ? They have said they will reduce spending but have not identified where, neither have they said they will reverse any of the changes that the present government are making.
It's quite clear that France is not doing very well by increasing taxes for the very rich who can move from the country along with their businesses.
We really need a proper examination of the whole system from top to bottom with some honest and non political answers but of course that will never happen.......far too many vested interests.
Community Veteran

Follow on from the Ian Duncan Smith interview on the Today program when he claimed that if he had to he could live on £53 per week.
The petition challenging him to prove it is here: https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/iain-duncan-smith-iain-duncan-smith-to-live-on-53-a-week (34,402 supporters and rising fast).
In the same interview he suggested David Bennett could supplement his income by taking a second job. The guy is already working 50-70 hours per week!
IDS is totally and utterly out of touch with reality!
Community Veteran

I completely agree with you Jelv about your previous remarks. The Tories ever since I was a kid of one of those SINGLE PARENTS in the 80s have done everything possible to make life hard.
As for IDS he's an idiot and an out of touch idiot. Back in the terrestrial TV days in the 80s, we had a program on ITV called World in Action where they challenged another MP to prove he could live on state benefit money. He failed miserably and this is the man that proved to the nation that the very cuts that HE was introducing, could not be survived on:
Matthew Parris:

Not only did he try it for a week in a subsidised flat, he ran out of money completely and failed his challenge to survive on state benefit money for the whole country to see. A leading MP was unable to survive on the cuts that he himself claimed he could live on.
So if Iain Duncan Smith wants to claim he can survive on £53 per week when Parris couldn't survive on a similar amount back in the 80s (which due to lower living costs went further than it does today) then he better be prepared to prove it. If Parris couldn't do it in the 80s with lower living costs I'd sincerely love to see IDS try.
Devonian
Grafter

Living on £53 per week for a few weeks when all of your bills are up to date, and you don't need new shoes, and a new tv is easy.. but perhaps he should try it when the bills are stacking up, that is something completely different.
Perhaps if the likes of multi million pound companies like Amazon paid their fair share, then the more vulnerable members of society wont be stripped of more money, which leads to crime, which leads to higher council tax/insurance which leads to me being even more out of pocket.
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
Follow on from the Ian Duncan Smith interview on the Today program when he claimed that if he had to he could live on £53 per week.
The petition challenging him to prove it is here: https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/iain-duncan-smith-iain-duncan-smith-to-live-on-53-a-week (34,402 supporters and rising fast).

Rising fast was a bit of an understatement - it now has 282,820 supporters!
Community Veteran

Doesn't that mean it's triggered a debate in parliament then? - I thought the threshold for that was 100k?
Community Veteran

That rule is on the government website: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/ - this poll isn't on there.
The petitions submitted to the gov.uk site are checked by a government department - do you think they would have let it stand or do you think would have found some excuse for having it removed?