cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefit Culture

Community Veteran

Benefit Culture

Just read some interesting facts about reforms to incapacity benefit being introduced by the government.
Rather than face a medical to access their right to benefits 878,000 have dropped their claims. I wonder why?
A further 1.44m have been assessed and of these 55% were judged fit to work immediately and 23.9% able to do some level of work. Doctors classified 232,800 people (15.1%) to ill to work at all.
I know there is an argument going on about the assessment process but these figures are alarming.
67 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Benefit Culture

I wouldn't read too much into those figures artmo. The DWP and any government are known for changing entitlements to benefits and moving people from one to another in order to make the numbers look better. I've known people go from incapacity benefit to DLA or vice versa in the past. Some who were on incapactity benefit only will then switch to income support instead too.
While I agree the figures they've published do look alarming, it doesn't always reflect the whole picture.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

My concern is that as it's a private company (Atos) doing the assessments that quotas have to be met and, therefore, many people deserving of the benefit will be deemed fit to work, have their benefit stopped while they appeal causing stress and, perhaps, further exasperate their illness.
This is probably more true for those who have some form of mental health issues but not restricted to such.
Probably a safe bet that those who dropped their claims really weren't entirely eligible in the first place but it must place an extra burden and worry on those who genuinely need the support.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Yes it was really the 878,000 who suddenly stopped claiming that shocked me.  This group alone must have been getting a few billion pounds.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
it must place an extra burden and worry on those who genuinely need the support.

People like me you mean. I can't work at the moment due to health problems (as previously mentioned in the feeling sick thread) yet I can't get a penny of state support because I live with someone who works (and not even full time as they're at uni). Yes, you read that right, I don't get a penny. No JSA, no income support, no incap (not enough contributions), no DLA, absolutely nothing.
Am I worried about those 800k people? Not really. I'm more concerned with the £Billions that get pumped into our banks to keep them afloat, the dodgy deals MPs make, the MPs expenses etc. Meanwhile, the poorest in society are expected to make do with the least, have the worst health care, have the least income and now expected to face benefits cuts and homelessness.
The system is broken and without a doubt, 800k people claiming a benefit they shouldn't (assuming they're now completely out of the benefits system) won't help anyone but when you consider that the welfare bill is always the biggest issue for MPs yet around half of it is actually pension payments.. well something doesn't quite sit right. I'm also rather concerned at where they get their figures from when they make claims about how many people are on benefits who needn't be. How do they know this? Have they personally interviewed every person to establish this? Seems to me they just pluck a figure from the air and then instruct some private company "this is the target we want you to reach go pick on the vulnerable".
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
People like me you mean. I can't work at the moment due to health problems (as previously mentioned in the feeling sick thread) yet I can't get a penny of state support because I live with someone who works (and not even full time as they're at uni). Yes, you read that right, I don't get a penny. No JSA, no income support, no incap (not enough contributions), no DLA, absolutely nothing.

But weren't you critisising pensioners in another thread because your generation was keeping them?  It seems you aren't.  Looks like pensioners are keeping you with their taxes Roll eyes
Community Veteran

And there you go twisting things again. My generation is not ME. I am part of it yes but you are twisting things artmo.
How are the pensioners keeping me then? - Go on, do tell me. I've paid my taxes while being employed, I am just as entitled to health care as you - YOU who has been in hospital recently after an operation that the NHS have refused to give me for many years even though I am of working age and you're past it.
The NHS have done nothing for me artmo other than try to give me the most ineffective treatment they could find after many years of wrangling. What would you prefer, I curl up and die?
Community Veteran

No JSA, no income support, no incap (not enough contributions), no DLA, absolutely nothing.

I wasn't referring to health care on the NHS.  Of course you are entitled to it.  The above benefits, however, you say needs a minimum level of NI contributions before you get any payment. If you haven't reached that minimum surely you can't expect to be paid.
In case you don't realise it pensioners pay tax on their pensions so do contribute to the exchequer.
Just to put the record straight I didn't say I had recently had prostate surgery - that was some time ago.  my recent hospitalisation was for a hip replacement.
Community Veteran

Ok firstly, I never said anything about any prostate operation. I simply referred to you getting an operation a while back while I've been struggling for years for one. I've no idea where you've got this prostate or hip thing from as I never mentioned any type of operation as far as I can recall anyway (and no, my problem isn't either of those).
Yes I agree with you about the contribution thing but having had my working life destroyed by clinical negligence, I've been unable to work since being forced out of the door at 3 different employers due to deteriorating health. This isn't my fault artmo. Believe me, I wish I was out there earning money, it's not nice being short on money. You think I don't have ambitions? You think I want to stay in the deep stuff all my life? Hell no. I still do not see how you think your generation are keeping me though? - You clearly state you're not referring to the NHS or healthcare but then go back to the benefits. As I have already pointed out, I get none. My partner keeps us both afloat so how is your generation keeping me?
The tax on pensions thing.. I'd heard of it but again pensioners get a higher tax free allowance than us of working age so again, you're better off than my generation plus many of you probably have private pensions on top of state pensions etc. Before you say it, I am not suggesting that by the use of the word many, I mean all - I am all to aware that many pensioners also live in poverty. My generation is lucky to even get a pension these days at any job. I know some of the supermarkets now only employ part time staff explicitly so that they can avoid pension responsibilities to those staff. If you ask me, that stinks.
I know you and I differ over many things artmo but just as I'm wrong on some things, so are you.
thejudge
Grafter

artmo,
Crucial question: Where did you read these 'interesting facts'?
Community Veteran

Pensioners higher tax-free allowances are about to reduce to next to nothing, they've already been frozen and will be minimal from next week.
Community Veteran

Quote from: thejudge
artmo,
Crucial question: Where did you read these 'interesting facts'?

In today's Sunday Times. 
Community Veteran

"Facts" "Sunday Times".  Shocked
"Facts" "Daily Mail" no comment.
Community Veteran

I said they were in the Sunday Times.  Their source was the Dept. of Works & Pensions.  No doubt you'll say they've got them wrong Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I'm saying nothing along those lines, but all papers have an agenda and will select the figures available to support that agenda and ignore the rest.
Don't expect a balanced view from most of them.  Wink